how to ease a HORRIBLE sinus headache/pressure

for the last 4 days I have had horrible pain starting at the top of my nose, across my eyebrow and my forehead...I know it is sinuses.... I can barely keep my eyes open because it hurts that badly...I just threw up ( purposly) because I read that can help relieve some of the pressure, and it did a tiny bit...but I cant take it and i cannot get into a Dr ( we just got new insurance and I can use it until the 15th) ...

Help !

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ditto the Neti pot
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 4:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with Anon 41

To add to that. Try this drink. It works nicely to break up the gunk. One cup hot water. 1/2 fresh lemon squeezed into water (or bottled lemon juice equivalent). 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/8 a teaspoon of Cayenne pepper. Drink and repeat as needed. It helps my husband when he has a cold or bronchitis. The heat from the pepper will help to loosen the stuff up.

You could also try a ginger bath remedy. Mix one cup of Epson salt with a teaspoon of ginger in water as hot as you can stand it. Add a teaspoon to a table spoon of Cayenne pepper for extra strength again nose gunk. Use a wash cloth to apply to the forehead area. (Sorry I only know the bath size potions for this one.)
    Good luck and feel better!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Take a really hot shower/bath. Lay a warm/hot wash cloth over your forehead, eyes, and nose. Also try a vapor rub, like Vick's, that can help too. Drink warm tea, coffee, cocoa, etc. Warmth is good to thin things out and increase blood flow which will relieve pressure. Also try some hot soup. Good luck! Feel better soon!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Be careful of the neti pot if you're really congested, my DD did that once and most of the water couldn't even get through. I use some accupressure right at the inner part of your eyebrow, that is where the drainage point for the upper sinus is, the one for the lower part is somewhere along the under side of your cheek bone. Massaging that will sometimes help to open it up if it's clogged.

I also use tiger balm liniment on my forehead, temples and sometimes my cheeks. If you've never used it, try and test spot, some people react very badly to it. Yes, it will turn your skin bright red, I use the extra strength stuff which is clear.

If you try soup? Order some hot sour soup from your local chinese place, if it's good and spicy, make sure you have a ton of tissues. I used it once when I had a sinus headache and was pregnant. lol Worked like a charm.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Try to take a hot shower...need lots of steam.That might help loosen some of the mucus up in there and you can blow your nose,that will relieve some of the pressure. Hope you feel better soon, I just went through that too, for about 5 weeks!!!!
    Anonymous

• Besides a Neti Pot or Saline spray look up online Sinus Massage it helped me quite a bit the last week to relief the sinus pressure and I would also recommend signing up for the pollen reports at Pollen.com to help you know when it's going to be a really bad pollen count day. Feel Better
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Poor thing....I like the above suggestions. I hope you feel relief soon.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2010