How long do your migraines last?

First off, the really rough horrible headache part.

And second, the somewhat milder "after headache" that can continue after the really rough part.

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Health

• uuuugh i get migraines alllll the time!!!! i feel your pain. my migrains usually last about 12 hrs, and the after part for about 2-3 days. all i can say is get a couple icepacks...the blue gel kind..i usually take 2 advil liquid gels, put an icepack on my head, and try and lay down (if possible). and sometimes i usually end up making myself throw up to ease the pain..which does work..but..definetly use an icepack!!!!!! they work wonders!!!! i even use icepacks when i just have normal headaches too..good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The really bad part last about a day (the upset stomach, tunnel vision, sensitivty to sounds and light), but the after headache I get usually last anywhere from a day to two days.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• the really bad part a day to a day and a half. The after headache might be anywhere from one to three days tops, it really depends on the particular episode for me.
    Anonymous

• my dh gets them about twice a month. they start first thing in the morning and usually last until he wakes up the next day. some days they are so bad he has to call in to work and stay in a dark quiet room. but the next day its completely gone. the doc he went to said there was nothing they can do for them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I've had ones that the bad part lasted for almost three days. If we'd had a gun in the house I think it would have hurt less to shoot myself. Mine are sinus and hormone induced, so I usually get them about once a month. The worst ones are when I can't move or barely blink without searing pain shooting through my head...and then the vomiting starts. Ahh such fun!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Dh gets light sensitivity first and that last anywhere from one day to a week then it gets to where he has to trap himself in a room and usually we end up in the er every weekend to get some shot that takes it away. Very rarely does he feel normal
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OP here- This is my first migraine, so I have lots to learn still.

I'm on day 3 of the after headache...and I'm not sure how to balance relieving the pain of this with not taking too much headache medicine...which I've been told can cause a headache itself.

Any advice on that?
    Anonymous

• to help relieve my migranes without taking too much medicine I damp a washcloth, stick it in the freezer for just a few minutes (so that it get cold but not frozen) and stick it on my head for awhile. I do not know why, but the coolness really helps for me. When they are really bad, I will lay on the bathroom floor because it has cold tile and I can shut off the lights and it will be dark. Good luck I know how horrible they can be!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Mine are usually pretty short - maybe a few hours at most. The after headache will stick around for as long as 2 days afterwards though.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• DH finds ice packs to work the best, along with a neck massage... but that was before he was injured. I hope you feel better soon!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2010