Are you for or against? Laws that make it a crime for people not to tell sexual partners they have HIV?

CNS: In a guide for young people published by the International Planned Parenthood Federation, the organization says it opposes laws that make it a crime for people not to tell sexual partners they have HIV. The IPPF’s “Healthy, Happy and Hot” guide also tells young people who have the virus that they have a right to “fun, happy and sexually fulfilling lives.”

“Some countries have laws that say people living with HIV must tell their sexual partner(s) about their status before having sex, even if they use condoms or only engage in sexual activity with a low risk of giving HIV to someone else,” the guide states. “These laws violate the rights of people living with HIV by forcing them to disclose or face the possibility of criminal charges.”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Under the heading “Sexual Pleasure and Well-Being,” the guide declares that it is a human right and not a criminal issue as to whether a person decides if or when to disclose their HIV status, even if they engage in sexual activities.

“You know best when it is safe for you to disclose your status,” the guide states. “There are many reasons that people do not share their HIV status. They may not want people to know they are living with HIV because of the stigma and discrimination within their community.”

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• if you know you have it you should tell a potential partner, and if you dont tell them you should be punished
    Anonymous

• It would be too hard to prove, one person could say they DID tell and are just being sued over a lovers spat.

You can be charged now for intentionally spreading the disease, there have already been a few cases

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Yes, I think it should be disclosed. That is the human thing to do.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 5:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I have never seen someone ask a question like this cause to me its simple. This should be the law any and everywhere unless your ok with sleeping with somone that could give you a life sentence of pain and suffering or even death. The law is not violating any one who has HIV, this is to protect other humans doese that make sense to you? Wow Im a little shocked over this question.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• LANDENSMOMMYlmk, if you are shocked, you may want to contact Planned Parenthood. They are the ones wiling to fight to keep these laws from existing..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Yes, I think it should be disclosed. If you are close enough to someone to get THAT intimate, you SHOULD know them well enough to have an idea how they will take it. HIV is nothing to play around with, or to ignore. If your potential partner freaks, it wasn't really Love, imo.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I got myself off track up there. I feel that as long as there is no cure for this disease, it is a potential death sentence for the unknowing partner, so the one who knows s/he is positive has an obligation to disclose to the partner that s/he has this disease.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with 29again. It is potentially a death sentence and therefore should be disclosed. I remember a story about a woman in Texas who found out that she contracted HIV from a partner. She was so angered by not have been told by her partner that she went on to continue spreading to other men as punishment. I am not sure of the validity of the story, but the idea that it could have happened, or that it is happening, is enough for me to think that there should be a law to protect people in event that it does happen knowingly.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• it should be treated as attempted murder charges
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010