Do you think Young adults are too cool to fill the census out?

NPR: About a third of the households in the country haven't yet returned that envelope and in big cities, including New York, the response rate is even worse.

Only half of the households in New York have bothered. Now, traditionally, poor and immigrant neighborhoods have been the hardest ones to count. But NPR's Robert Smith reports that New York's worse census neighborhood is an unlikely one.

ROBERT SMITH: The biggest census procrastinators in New York City happen to live in the most self-consciously hip neighborhood: Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Williamsburg is a magnet for kids just out of college, home of indie bands and ironic mustaches, wacky bikes and skinny jeans, and honest to goodness record stores like this one, Academy Annex.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I highly suggest you listen to the audio... The ignorance of our nation's youth is absolutley pathetic.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• if they havent turned it in how do they know how many have not turned it in?
    Anonymous

Because they know how many they mailed out...

That really is pathetic - maybe they'd mail it in if they were paid $5??
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• That really is pathetic - maybe they'd mail it in if they were paid $5??

Pretty much sums up the entitlement youth generation, doesn't it???

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Generally people aren't aware about what the census is and what it does for this country. I'm twenty five and I didn't know until this year. This is also my first year filling it out. Not because I didn't want to, not because I didn't care, but because I didn't even know what it was. I filled mine out this year and sent it back the next day. All that I have talked to have done the same thing. I don't think it has to do with Youth either. You'd be surprised how many older citizins haven't filled it out and sent it back either. It's not about the younger generation. It's crap they're getting stepped on about this as well. It's about people in generally. Either not caring or not understanding what it does. It isn't the most publisized thing in the world, and hasn't been until this year. More people need to be educated on it. Young and old.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• To me, it was a sign from the government that I REALLY WAS A GROWN-UP!! I was thrilled beyond pieces the first time I filled out the census! I was so scared I would fill it out wrong, lol! I don't understand why some people feel they don't need to be counted! I am an American, and I want to be counted as such!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I was 17 and living on my ow n in 2000. I had no idea what the census was, but I filled it out. I agree that some youth are young and stupid, but a lot adults out my way are worst. They don't believe they should have to tell the government anything. In fact, a small town around here has 300 people in it and only 100 fill out their census. They did a news story on these retired farmers that are against Obama and do not believe the government should invade them with questions. Maybe their kids are these youngsters in New York. These kids that think they are "too cool", have been influence by someone.

Jazz, they only do it every 10 years...this should be your first year!
    Anonymous

• My son filled out the short form- he's 19.

My daughter filled out the long form- she's 22.

Maybe they are uncool-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Im so uncool that I filled ot OUT! OMG lol Stop picking on us young people..We are not all alike..I mean like that is so rude and like would really like it if you didnt like pick on us.Like you know? ;P
    But in my defense I only knew what the Census was because of Billy Madison and then when it came I was thinking where HAVE i heard about this.and i goggled it and educated myself..So i filled mine out :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2010