The doctor prescribed my family poison...

We went to the ER today after having an ongoing rash for the last week thats getting worse..we all have it and we thought it was bug bites but the doctor said she was pretty sure it was scabies but was going to prescribe us medicine just in case...so she prescribed us Lindane for all of us including DD who is 16 months old. after reading the directions carefully I realized we are NOT using this. It says that it is a poison..and should NEVER be used for anyone under 110 lbs...for young children, pregnant or nursing women or anyone on antidepressants...im 100 lbs and on antidepressants..and it says it can be fatale if ingested...so wtf would the doctor EVER prescribe this for a 16 month old who is clearly going to stick her fingers in her mouth...ALSO it says VERY CLEARLY that it should NEVER be prescribed as a first line method..it should be used as a last resort when safer methods have failed...what do I do?? we need

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• SOMETHING to get rid of this but NOT POSION!! and I called her and voiced my concerns and she ignored them...wth am I supposed to do?? guess I need to call our family doctor tomorrow...im not going to kill my family....Side effects included..neurological damage, seizures and even death
    Anonymous

• Wow. I can appreciate the fact that sometimes the side effects listed are rare...but I would probably stay away from it too! Maybe you could call a pharmacist. A lot of times the pharmacists actually know more about the medications than a doctor does, as have been told by medical professionals themselves. He can likely either give you some peace of mind by explaining the risks more clearly, or advise you to see another doctor. I'd follow my gut though. If you just feel off abotu the whole thing, I'd see someone else and request a safer method of treatment.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies

Lindane lotion is approved in the U.S. for use as a second-line treatment where first-line medications like permethrin have either failed, are not well tolerated or otherwise contraindicated.[9] It is illegal in 17 other countries, and 33 more countries have restricted its use.[10][11] Though rare, serious side effects have resulted from product misuse.[12][10] The FDA has confirmed 3 deaths that all involved use of lindane not in accordance with the label, including excessive topical applications and oral ingestions.[13]
    There is some evidence that a 10% sulfur ointment in petroleum jelly applied topically is effective. It is cheap and readily available over-the-counter.[14][15] It also has the advantage of being able to be used in pregnant women and infants under two months of age.

I would suggest that you get a second opinion, but honestly, do you think your doctor is out to kill
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Call a pharmacy and speak with the pharmacist. She or he can recommend something. Also let them know what the doctore prescribed and the name. I'm a pharmacy technician. Make an appointment with your family practioner as well.
    kittenkat10

Answer by kittenkat10 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Do not use it. You need to get a second opinion from a different doctor, preferably at a different medical center. Then go to the head of the first medical center and file a complaint. The doctor should've known better and not have prescribed that. Not only because it is last resort, but because you and your child cannot take it. Especially since it is a poisen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• your family? I really don't think so, but your doctor may have had experiences with this in the past and determined that the other topical creams and other meds don't help nearly as quick or effectively as these. This is nothing to play around with, scabies is sarcoptic mange. Mange that dogs get. If you have any pets you need to take them to be vaccinated at least once to prevent infection if they don't have it. The vet can give them a shot to kill off or prevent mange if it is present in the house or yard.

Also, those serious side-effects are a result of misuse of the product. As long as you aren't eating a big gob of it or deliberately putting it in a membraneous area, you should be fine. You might stop by your local pharmacy and ask for a sulfur ointment as was advised by wiki, and you can put anything on your baby while he/she sleeps and wash it off after bed and naps.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• WOW
    That sucks.
    I had scabies, and that itch is killer - but I agree no way would I treat with what you are describing.
    I would call the family doc, and get a different rx as well as report this ocncern, and report your concerns to the head of the er.
    Good luck
    Anonymous

• I called the pharmacist and he just said well if the doctor saw you and thats what she recommened then thats what you should take.
    Anonymous

• Your a freak!
    Anonymous

• Anon:01, she's not a freak............gah, some people are ignorant....

No, I wouldn't use it!! Definitely not! Those warnings are one the bottle for a reason, they list specifically when you should NOT NOT NOT use it!

I would definitely go to a different doctor. ER doctors aren't always the best qualified for every condition. Take your daughter to a pediatrician, who will KNOW what is Ok to use on a toddler. Ask if she could prescribe extra for you to use as well. If the pedi won't, just get it for your daughter and call a skin doctor for yourself. Also, my sister had scabies last summer, you can order the medicine for it online as well.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010