China uproar over dead babies dumped near river

I don't know that this is exactly current, but it did happen about 2 weeks ago. I am also not sure if this has been posted here either, but to me this is absolutely terrible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/30/AR2010033004582.html?waporef=obinsite

etsmom

Asked by etsmom at 6:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• yea. it's terrible. ...and honestly, it's probably worse then what that article says it is. my brother lived in China for two years, and chances are there were more then 21 babies. and chances are there were a LOT more details to the story then what the article talked about.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

I agree... :o(

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• There are no words
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I don't even know what to say. My 17 yo dd was in the room when I first read the story. She read it too. We were both speechless and horrified. I had to explain China's one-child decree, and why they didn't want the girls. Being a girl, she was quite offended by this policy.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• But it is ok to kill unborn babies? And where else are they going to dump 'em? I am no longer surprised at the amount of inhumanity coming out of China.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• According to every news report I've read, there is no evidence of foul play. These babies were not murdered, they died at the hospital and their bodies were handled improperly. Dumping them in the river is obviously horrible and disrespectful to their young lives, but I've yet to see anything that connected this to China's family planning policies.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Depley is correct.
    There were several hospital morgue workers arrested in this case. These children died IN the hospital and their bodies were not disposed of properly. It has no ties at all to the one child policy.
    The one child policy is not even in effect in many regions of China now. Many families are allowed to have more than one child, but many families opt to only have one child. The policy began as a way to cut down on their population growth in 79'.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• OP here - Seems to me that the people involved in this took money for a service that they did not provide. I feel bad for the people who's children died. I feel terrible that the bodies of those babies were disrespected in such a way. I hope that the Chinese officials punish the people involved.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The hospital morgue workers have already been arrested.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2010