Would I be crazy to have my 15 month old stay at the hospital with us when her brother is born?

I haven't been away from her for more than a few hours and I don't want to be. She will be 15 months old when her brother is born. She sleeps through the night and is very well behaved. Has anyone tried this? Will the hospital even allow it?

Even if she spends the nights with me, someone can take her out for a few hours during the day.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 6:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• our hospital does not allow children under 12 in the labor and delivery ward.

i would not advise it for you either.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The hospital will allow it.
    Anonymous

• No children except for siblings of the baby. So you are clear.
    Anonymous

• Mom do you not have any close family you trust? You are going to be so overwhelmed!

I have two and I didnt realize how much my life was gonna change. You may be biting off more than you realize. I I am not trying to be mean. I know you love your dd. But she is now gonna have to share mom and that means letting you give birth to brother and RECOVER at least for a day or two.

Dont feel guilty mom. Buy some special toys and things to give to her during this time. Plan a mommy and dd outing a month or two after delivery!
    Anonymous

• I would do it, as long as I had someone there besides my husband and mom (who I want to be with me) designated to care for her.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I understand your reasoning, I hate being away from my 23 month old too. However, i would suggest not doing it. From what i understand having 2 is way different and much harder than having one. I would use the time in the hospital to get as much rest as possible for when you get home. good luck!

ps. my hospital would allow it under most circumstances. Although this past winter they wouldn't let in children under 12 because of the swine flu.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 6:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• that is really my only option. im so far away from family and friends our dd will probably have to be in the room when i give birth. but i think it will be a good experience. she will be 3 and a half but i kind of want her there anyway.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The hospital where I gave birth does allow kids under 16 to be in the L&D wing. Even if your hospital does allow it, I would leave the baby with your mom or family member. Who knows how long labor will last and the baby will get cranky and tired.
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem and also live far away from family. I decided to do a homebirth, that way I don't have to leave my son or my home for that matter.
    Anonymous

• Our hospital wouldn't allow it. You should call and ask them the rules. I wouldn't recomend it though. As pp said you may be biting off more than you can chew! I had my dh bring my son up to the hospital at nap time when I had my second. That way I got to see him and he could curl up and snuggle me.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 7:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2010