Could Harry Reid be beaten by the GOP AND the TEA PARTY?

the polls show Harry Reid~ the Democratic incumbent's popularity dipping to a new all-time low with 56 percent of registered Nevada voters saying they have an unfavorable opinion of the senator, while about four in 10 people say they would vote for him on Election Day -- not enough to win.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sue Lowden has established herself as the far-ahead GOP front-runner in Nevada's U.S. Senate race and the Republican most likely to beat Sen. Harry Reid, even with a Tea Party candidate on the Nov. 2 general election ballot, according to a new poll commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

"Reid is hoping third party candidates, particularly this Tea Party guy, will draw enough votes that he can win, but I don't see that happening," said Brad Coker of Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, which conducted the survey.

"Everybody knows who Reid is, and voters don't have a good opinion of him."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Many of the GOP, democrats, independents, libertarians, conservatives, and non-affiliated party members support the principles of the Tea Party. If you get the right candidate that best exemplifies those principles and ideals all of the groups mentioned will vote for that person regardless of party. I am registered republican; however, I vote for candidates and not party. I will not feel like I betrayed my party if a registered conservative best fulfills all the things I look for. I think more people feel this way than the liberals want to admit. And, this is what scares them, and this is what they don't know how to negate. They can't imagine voting for anything other than a democrat. We stand on principles. They stand on the party with no principles to speak of.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The GOP and Tea Party need to endorse the same candidate. They split the vote and Harry does get re-elected. Dan Quayle was talking the other day about how Ross Perot basically cost them a second term. Clinton had the highest percentage but did not have a majority if you recall. Had they got Perot's percentage they had their second term. He also mentioned how a third party candidate cost Al GOre Florida. (Lame brain, I can't remember the guy's name.)
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Ralph Nader
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think voting patterns reflect much about the American psyche. First, when life is status quo and calm, apathy appears high, voter turn out is lower and there is higher incumbent re-election. Further, when the economy sucks, tension is high, and the country is engaged in war(s) people are more vocal, animated and inclined to get involved. I'd venture to say with the country tanking, people are more apt to make changes-especially in elected officials who they perceive have caused the problems in the first place. They can't imagine voting for anything other than a democrat. We stand on principles. They stand on the party with no principles to speak of.

I'm an Independent who votes all over the board. ITDisagree with your stance- However, I know many I's who will not vote for a social conservative, ever. Principles- what an inflammatory statement.

Anonymous

• I agree with jesse...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It's not a good idea to have 3 running but in this instance I think Scary whould lose anyway. The best ending would be one of the Conservatives (and not all are confident this guy is really a conservative)would do the right thing if it appears Scary might pull it out and drop out and endorse the other.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Reid is hoping third party candidates, particularly this Tea Party guy, will draw enough votes that he can win, but I don't see that happening," said Brad Coker of Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, which conducted the survey.

that is the ticket the libs are hoping for. A vote for a third party candidate is a vote for the libs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think it is quite possible, and maybe even probable that he will lose the election in Nov. Unless the job and housing markets improve tremendously in the next few months, he has a lot to answer for to his constituents, and I don't think he CAN answer to them. He is basically responsible for the bad shape they are in.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• November election wlll give you the answer Grly. I assume you can't wait.
    Anonymous