Day/Night mixed up : How old was your little one when they were on the right schedule?

I had my little boy 2 weeks ago and we are mixed up with our days/nights. At what age was your child when you were on the right schedule? And how did you do it?

We are currently making some progress as he will stay awake for 2 hours some days but most of the time he sleeps during the day and up ALL night long!

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 6:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was very mixed up as well. around week 5ish I think is when she would go to bed sooner and sooner. Before it was like 5 or 6 in the morning. I know by week 7, she was going to bed around 10ish. I went back to work after 8 weeks she had out grew her basinet by then and was in the crib at 7 weeks. I know I wanted her to be in the crib before I went back to work so not to wake her when we got ready for work, so yeah...I think they start getting it around 6 weeks. We just kept loud and noisy during the day and dark and very quite at night...no tv or radio, we just sat in the dark a lot. Congrats on your new little boy!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• he should be sleeping 16-20 hrs round the clock. no schedule at 2 weeks, lol
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• it will change probably several times before he gets on any schedule.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I woke mine up every 3 hours during the day to feed and tried to be as animated as possible, at night I let them sleep as long as they would and when they woke up I kept the lights low and things very quiet. It took about 2 weeks for them to get on the right day/night schedule.

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• At 8 weeks old my DD started going to bed at 10 and waking up at 6 am. It was beautiful, for the first few weeks she was WIDE AWAKE from 10 to midnight or 1. Eventually bedtimes started at 9, then 8. She never woke up during the night. We were lucky.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Mine didn't have days and nights reversed, but he was on a 24 hour clock and didn't distinguish between days and nights. That was new to me because my first son seemed to have a firm sense of day and night for some reason.

It took about 4 weeks for him to start having his awake periods during the day only. He'd wake at night to nurse, but then go right back to sleep, whereas before that he'd be up for a period of time before falling back to sleep.

I made sure to have him nap out in the light and noise during the day and I woke him every three hours for feedings. When he woke during the day we'd talk to him and interact with him. At night we'd keep everything dark and quiet and wouldn't interact with him. I never woke him to feed at night, I let him wake on his own.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010