Rice cereal vs Mixed vs Oatmeal

Which one is supposed to keeps babies full longer?

I feed my daughter one of these at breakfast and at dinner before bed... which should I be doing when?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your daughter? That will make it easier to answer. Neither should be given to keep her full. Before a year old breast milk or furmula is supposed to be her main nutrition and what keeps her full. So, give her more of that if anything. Food is only for practice really.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Like I know rice and oatmeal are for supported sitters and mixed is for sitters... so does that mean mixed keeps them full longer and hence I should feed her that at night?
    Anonymous

• She's almost 9 months old
    Anonymous

• No, that only is meaning in regards to how mature her stomach is and whether or not she can digest it properly without problems. Neither keep them full anymore than the other.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Ok, good. She is old enough for them...still the same answer though....neither works better. Either is fine to feed her. You can feed them in the morning or at night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• None of them will keep her "fuller" at night... Sleeping longer at night is developmental, there's no connection to solids (other than coincidence of timing).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• To add to what LeanneC stated, recent studies concluded that cereal actually interferes with sleep patterns. Feed your baby real food, like avocado, sweet potato, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with PP , the cereal is just a training food with little nutritional value. We actually skipped it all together and introduced gerber 1st foods at about 5 months. At 9 months, I would just feed her as often as she needs it and make sure she gets a good amount of formula/breastmilk right before bed.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010