Why is my 11 month old refusing bottles and having sleep issues?

This past week my 11 month old was sick and has also been teething. He, who used to love his bottle, now refuses it and is drinking very little. I've tried giving it to him in his sippy cup, but he won't take that either. He's not eating much solids either (about 2 meals a day). On top of that, he's falling to pieces when I put him down for his naps even when he's so tired. He's been crying himself to sleep because nothing I do calms him down. He's fussy but doesn't seem satisfied with anything that I offer to him. Could this all be due to teething? We've tried many approaches to ease discomfort. Any other ideas of what he may be going through at this age? I'm hoping my pleasant easy to please little boy gets back to normal soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like teething to me. Those molars are hard to cut! My ped said to give motrin for teething pain. Hope he feels better soon!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• A mixture of being sick and teething can put your little boy threw this. Once he gets better and the teething subsides he will return to normal. There is no way of telling when that will be. For right now, give him extra TLC, try a frozen washcloth for him to knaw on, teething drops or tablets. Not eating as much is also normal with teething. His mouth is hurting him.
    Hope he feels better!
    Anonymous

• My son had those exact same symptoms (which I also thought was due to teething) and then turned out to be an ear infection. The way I could tell for sure was when I gave him OTC ear drops, he slept through the night so we took him into the Dr. just to confirm.
    Try the drops and letting him sleep elevated (lying down causes ear infections to flare and hurt worse so it may be the reason he is refusing sleep) We gave him tylenol too to ease the pain.
    Good Luck, hope he feels better soon!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I would guess it might be ear infection try some motron
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010