so my daughter is 15 months old and isnt talking yet... is that normal?

Becca_Lynn

Asked by Becca_Lynn at 9:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she make any sounds at all?
    If so, she is learning to talk! :)
    My 13 1/2 month old makes the beginning sounds to some words. Like, "Ju" for juice, "Bbb" for belly, lol
    I wondered the same thing though, her grandmother asked me over Easter if she was talking yet and I'm like, "No", thinking, why would she be talking already, shes just a baby",lol..but I guess some do talk at that age.
    But I think its perfectly normal.
    Anonymous

• At that age they tend to just say 1 word at a time. however, some kids are slower then others. My kids started talking at different ages. But if she isn't talking after two, then I'd talk to the doctor about getting her checked out. Some kids need speach class. Both my boys are in speech. And if my little girl doesn't start getting better with words, I'll get her tested too before she is three.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 9:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• At that age my son was saying ma, da and other randoms, but he didn't really know what they ment. Right around 16-17 months he start spittin out all kinds of word. Pointing to me and say ma, waving and saying bye-bye. But I was reading one of those stupid "what your baby should be doing now" articles that just end up making you paranoind, and it said at 16 months he should be saying 10-15 words. So I would try to count the words he said and came up with 7. Suddenly it happened over night! He'll be 18 months this week and now repeats things. Says car, shower, shoes, mama, go park, outside.... and just all kinds of things. So don't worry just keep talking to her and one day she will just start talking. Every child is different!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My sons almost 16 months, he says a few things, havent counted lately but he really understands alot...they go through a vocab blast some where between the 16-18 months and they tend to double or tripple their vocabulary list. I wouldnt worry about it..just keep talking!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My dd is 23 months and just barely started talking, however she also just got tubes in her ears, she suddenly had lots of ear infections. If you are really worried, have them check her ears, its probably nothing. Some kids develop at different rates
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My son is 19 months old and he says Mom, Dadda, this and that, done and no. If you tell him to point to different things, he will, he understands and I understand him, so we are in no rush. He has never had any ear infections and is developmentally on target if not a little advanced (started walking at 9 months, climbs over the gate and runs upstairs) I just take it that he developed all his major motor skills FIRST and the talking will come later, no big deal.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 8:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If you have any concerns, you can get a free evaluation from early intervention in your area. A lot of people will tell you it's too early, but it's never too early! My oldest has autism, so I had my youngest evaluated just as a precaution when he was 10 months old. He was diagnosed with a slight receptive language delay and he's been in play therapy (free) ever since. He's 16 months now and has 25-35 words and is coming out with new ones all the time - he just started 3 word phrases. I figure even if he would typically catch up on his own (which I have a feeling he would), the extra therapy isn't going to hurt him and may just get him that much further ahead!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2010