postpartum depression

Sorry if this was in the wrong section, i wasn't sure what catagory it should go under.

I was just wondering, is postpartum depression(i'm just talking about the 6weeks after baby is born) really as bad as all the books and tv make them out to be? I know awhile back my DH was worried i'd be a wreck once baby comes. Does every women get it?

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 9:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had baby blues with both of my boys, maybe a little bit of depression with my second. If you have a history of depression you may want to talk to you doctor ahead of time about it. But many moms go through slight post partum blues, or some go through post partum blues that makes it really hard on them, and its mostlyt because of hormones, but there can be other reasons too... like not getting the birth you wanted, being fearful about parenting etc. To be honest with you, the thing that really got me through post partum blues was breastfeeding. My first birth was very hard, and a bit traumatic for me, but breastfeeding was something i was very determined to do, and each time we got a good latch I was excited. It made me feel good to succeed at bfing. With my second we had an amazing birth and bfing went really well, but my husband and I were having issues, so that really was hard on me.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• after you have a baby you are very emotional...but about the question about is it really that bad...it just depends....not all people depression want to kill themselves you know....I had it...but mine was that i felt very overwhelmed and i didnt want to do anything..but it was also bc my baby was in the nicu
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Not everyone gets it.
    It isn't always have to be that bad.
    In my case, I have compulsive thoughts that something is going to happen to me and I'm going to leave my DD motherless (I leave my debit card with my mom when she babysits in case something happens, she can get diapers ect) or someone is going to kill my DD. I've been that way for 6 months. I've had the occasional thought of hurting my DD but they are just thoughts and not actions. I would never hurt her.
    Anonymous

• I think in the first 6 wks its called the "baby blues" and then if it gets worse and lasts longer than its probably PPD. I was lucky enough to not have it with my 4 kids, so I dont really know too much about it.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Not all women expirience full on PPD. Some just get the "baby blues" and that's caused from the natural reaction to change and all the hormones getting back to normal.
    But for some women, yes it does get that bad.
    Anonymous

• What are the baby blues like? I know everyone is different..but i'd like to know how others felt.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 9:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• There is a difference between post partum depression and psychosis.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2010