Do you think of your family as rich, poor, broke, getting by or what?

I live on a fixed income from now until the day they put me in matching urns. So, I can pay all my bills, put some in savings, and donate to causes I believe in. I do not consider myself as rich or anything close to it. I just make do with what I have and live well below my income level.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sometimes surroundings drive us to think one way or another. When I lived at home all my parent's friends were artists. My dad was a sculptor and it was fine. We lived like everyone else. Now that we're amongst business people, we could easily feel very poor. Our furniture is second hand, we have one used vehicle, we don't have cable or cell phones, we buy clothes at thrift stores. It's the same situation, but different context. The positives. We're not in debt, we know how to have fun, our kids are healthy. We budget, have what we need, and have enough to share with others. I figure if you can't give anything away then you're really poor. So we're doing OK.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We are not wealthy, but we live within our means.

We're rich in love and spirit though!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Not rich or poor. doing better then just getting by but don't have money for everything.

Financially, i am happy. We have just a little more then enough for all our bills and savings and spending! ...and that's with buying mostly organic foods. etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Somewhere between broke and getting by. I think that's where you are if you haven't been able to pay your phone bill for a month, right? We are trying to redo our budget and cut what we can...Hoping to be "getting by" by June!
    Anonymous

• Monetarily we are beyond broke. We literally have NO money whatsoever. DH was laid off and we haven't been able to find work since.
    Anonymous

• When people ask about our financial situation, I just say that we're "alright" and leave it at that. We are debtfree and only have basic bills every month so in our opinions we are doing well for ourselves. We have nice things and our son is well taken care of.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think we are doing well. We are not poor and we are not rich. I don't have a college fund for my child and we don't have any saving. I do have my spa business so I can put the money towards vacation and any extras we want. my husband and I pay the bills and rent with our paychecks. If i stop spending the extra money i had then i guess we but able to save much more.
    BreeMarie

Answer by BreeMarie at 10:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• We barely get by with what we have now. BUT its much much better than the "poor". We have cable (at least for now), we have phone (again, for now!) and we get enough food. But by three days til grocery day, we are scraping by. Our poor mans meal is beans and cornbread lol. What else is healthy and can feed a family of 5 on less than $2 a meal!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Honestly, with what we have I would consider us to be rich. Not millionaire rich but after we pay our bills and buy groceries we have about $1300 a month that's left over. We use some of that money to pay for UVerse & our cell phone bill but I consider those things to be luxuries and not a part of our monthly expenses. They are extras that we COULD cut down on if we needed to. I consider having those 2 things as having luxuries. We do more than just fine, I consider us to be very comfortable.
    Anonymous

• I meant to say not part of BASIC monthly expenses. Obviously they are a aprt of our monthly expenses but they are extras that we could cut out so I count them as things we spend our extra money on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2010