What can I do to get my kids to sleep through the night?

My kids are 21 months old. My daughter will only wake up if her brother starts crying his head off. He normally wakes up about once to three times a nigh. I'm not quite sure what to do. The only way to get him to go back to sleep is by giving him a cup of warm milk. I've trie letting him cry himself back to sleep but if I do that then I have sterio crying and a headache. FYI him & his sister crying. That means I have to make two cups and change two diapers. The times he wakes up are normally around 2am and 6am. For once I would like to sleep through the night. As is I wake up feeling EXTREMELY drawgy and irrated.

x2startermom

Asked by x2startermom at 10:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kid does this too. I've found keeping him on a schedule is the best. I feed him dinner around 5-5:30. Let him carry around a sippy cup of milk the rest of the night. Jammies around 7. A Bowl of oatmeal and the rest of his milk around 7:15, brush teeth and bed at 7:30. He still wakes up a few nights a week for a "snack", but this has helped a lot. I have also done the "let him cry" thing, but he's a stubborn little guy that will cry for an hour straight or until he throws up.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I would switch the milk to water. You may have a couple of rough nights when he realizes that's all he's getting, but then he will either stop waking up, or you can leave the sippy of water with him so he can get it if he wakes. Giving him milk at night is bad for his teeth, in addition to him being old enough not to need it in the middle of the night.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• A question for missanc: when do they reach an age where they are too old for milk at night? My DD is breastfed, but she still wakes up at night for milk and she's 12 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2010