my 5 mo old seems bored with nursing, can i start solids?

she cant sit up yet, she's 'the distractable' baby while nursing. should i start solids? can i skip cereal and just mash an avacado?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can do whatever you want. she's your baby, no one should tell you what and what not to feed her. avacado is very healthy, go right ahead
    Anonymous

• five months is pretty young. Have you tried nursing her in a place where there are limited distractions? Go into a quiet darkened bedroom or something?

I think skipping cereal would be a mistake because what you do with it is slowly build the consistency so that she can get used to the thickness. All she's ever had is liquid, she needs to ease into solids. A small amount of cereal in the BM slowly increased over time is the best way to get solids going.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If she can't sit up on her own, she can't be starting solids. It doesn't matter if she gets distracted. That's normal. She's experiencing the world around her. She's not going to starve herself, so just keep feeding when she wants it.
    Anonymous

• My dr started my son on solids at 4 months.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me at 4months to start solids but I waited til 5 and saw the signs she was ready. I'd say skip cereal anyways because it is disgusting lol.
    About the distracted baby, my DD was that way because she was exploring her surroundings and I bet that's what your DD is doing. I would honestly let her nurse until seeing the doctor. I wouldn't give my DD solids until she sat up well on her own.
    Anonymous

• I don't think she'ws bored with nursing... she's probably just curious about the world around her. If you want her nursing sessions to be less distracting you can nurse in a quiet room where there are no distractions, but this is ver normal for baies to be distratced while nursing at this age. i don't think its a reason to starts solids honesly. Her digestive system may not be ready yet.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I started my son on solids when he was about 4.5 months old. He wasn't very interested, and I think more dribbled down his face than in his mouth! I started with rice cereal, and he was not interested. He wasn't too interested in the oatmeal, either. He finally ate when I made homemade apple sauce. You cook peeled apples with enough water to cover for about 5-8 minutes. While still hot, blend in a blender until smooth. I started by giving him about 1 oz once a day, then upped it to 2, then 3. Now he's 7 months old and eating about 4-6 ounces of solid food a day. He drinks milk in between and at night. I bought a book called "101 Baby Purees" that gave some good ideas for balanced meals that should cover what baby needs. I introduce a new food about once every 4-5 days and so far so good. I've even hidden rice cereal in the pureed carrots. He loves it!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• She's your baby & it is up to you. The standard rule now is to wait til 6 months, as their little digestive systems just aren't ready to cope with much other than milk. You can try just a tsp of baby cereal - mashed avocado is good for her, but some babies have allergic reactions- the reason they suggest rice cereal is that rice is one of the lowest allergy foods. I know to you and me it tastes gross, but to a baby it is fine!
    As for her nursing, she will still be requiring her feeds, she should be having the feed first, then food afterwards for the next 6 months, so it is important that the nursing continues. A quiet room, or try feeding her sitting up on your lap, facing you. You will find she expects your nipples to be made of rubber! It is all normal, & a great sign there is an active mind in there. Lots of Moms find this frustrating & either switch to bottle during the day, even if it is expressed milk., and have cont.d
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• baby to breast feeds in the early morning and evening when she is more snuggly.
    Being bored isn't a good indicator of being ready for solids, if she watches you put food in your mouth, reaches for food, etc, bangs the table and shouts at you when you are eating, those are more likely signs of being food ready
    Good luck Momma
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think that starting solid food now is too early, if she can't sit up well then she isn't ready. Have you tried a nursing necklace? I have one, and it's been great for keeping my son focused while nursing.

Kellymom on introducing solids.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 11:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2010