Do I need a license to babysit one child in my home?

I need extra cash. I have 3 kids so seeking employment outside the home is hard right now. I was thinking of babysitting a random child. Perhaps advertise on Craigslist or whatnot. So, do I need a license? And if not where is a good place to post an ad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• You don't need a license for one kid. Not where I live anyways. If it's anything like where I'm from, you can have up to 5 kids before needing a daycare license.

Either Craigslist or kijiji would be good places to post ads. Or make a flier and post it at the grocery store or other busy business establishment.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• no...hell kids do it
    Anonymous

• No license for 1 kid. I used to babysit and I advertised in our local suburban paper and also let the local elementary school know that if parents call dlooking for a sitter to give them my number. Both worked well for me.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Probably not, but you should check with someone, I don't know who would be in charge of that kind of thing. I know here you can have a total of 4 kids, including your own, without being licensed. Some people will go over that, but if you get reported you can be fined which would defeat the purpose of babysitting - which is to bring in money, not pay it out.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010