How do you cope living with a bipolar spouse?

janiet

Asked by janiet at 10:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• You make them get medicated and get counseling.
    Anonymous

• Medication and counseling would be a good thing but you can't make them do either!

Good luck!

Anonymous

• DIVORCE!
    Anonymous

• This is so tough. It may always be tough so if you really love him, it will be worth it. My friend who has a bi polar husband has had it difficult. He doesn't like to take his meds because he doesn't like how he feels on them and then he gets depressed and has manias and loses jobs. From what I've seen and heard, the above poster is right, they need meds forever and counseling for the down days and lots of support. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• he/she needs good med which does the job. you yourself need to turn to friends whenever your significant other gets sick for support. sustain the relationship since it's worth it.
    BabySon1

Answer by BabySon1 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Make sure they stay medicated!!!! My EX husband would go off his meds when he felt "better". He turned into a lunatic and we had to divorce. Those meds are very important.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My husband is bipolar. He has gone through counseling, medication, everything. You just have to learn how to deal with their bad days and help then through them. And appreciate their good days. Once it is under control, it is not that hard. My husband is no longer required to take medication to control his, but he still has bad days every once in a while...it takes a strong person to deal with it sometimes, but it can be done. If you want to pm me and talk about it, feel free.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My husband is bipolar and I make sure he take his meds everyday because if he doesnt, we fight all day long. He is also going thru counseling. Sometimes I just feel like I want to leave but I do love him and I promised when we got married that I would be by his side no matter what.
    AmandaLeigh

Answer by AmandaLeigh at 12:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I have a sever form of bipolar along with manic depression and along with those I have several anxity issues. Meds would be nice but not all of us have that luxury i cant find one that works for me or a combo that works. I have been on 12 diffrent meds and 4 diffrent combos since I was 8 yes 8 years old!!! If you love them enough you learn to deal with it. You find way to help them without meds if you have to and if your DH is lucky enough to be able to find ones that work then you make sure to help him remember to take them. And be prepared to lose your DH. When I am on meds I am nothing but a zombie. I sleep and shower and thats it. I dont eat I dont love I cant love.I have no emotion or feeling at all.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2010