Is there an appropriate way to ask?

It seems like no matter where we live, the kids always come and play in our yard. Even when my kids aren't outside, the kids will play in my yard. My SUV got a scratch the full length of the truck in the fall from the kids. Today I wasn't home because it was beautiful out and I took my kids to walk around the outdoor mall. When I got home, my yard was full of trash. My neighbor told me that she had to run some kids off because they were playing right next to our new car, and they were throwing trash in my yard. I'm not sure if it matters or not, but we are a military family. I'm wondering if it is okay for me to ask the kids not to play in my yard unless my kids are outside. I don't want to be mean, but I don't want my vehicles scratched, and I don't want to clean up the trash. Any input is greatly appreciated.

MPWifeJessicia

Asked by MPWifeJessicia at 10:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think you have every right to ask that. depending on the age of your kids, you may have them ask that the kids not play there while you aren't there.

it would be bad if the kids got hurt while you guys weren't home.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think it is totally reasonable to ask that and if it were my kids I'd be embarrassed and I would have no problems complying. In addition to no wanting to clean up their trash, they could get hurt in your yard and you'd be liable (at least that's true off base, I don't know about liability on base, but I am assuming it's the same). There is no reason for them to play in your yard if your kids aren't around.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Talk to the parents, if that doesn't work you can call the MP's. Kids under a certain age are not even allowed to be outside unless an adult is out. (i think it is 10)
    If they get multiple calls, they will have a talk with the soldiers command.
    Anonymous

• i agree that you have every right to ask.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I would say that is the least you should do, as well as notify parents, that you know of thier children playing in your yard, that thier kids do not playin your yard.
    Anonymous

• I would just tell them that since someone scratched your car and you don't know who it was, you don't want anyone in the yard w/o your children being outside.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The last home I bought had a backyard that was all hill the the neighborhood kids had been used to using for sledding in the winter. The proximity to the street was too close and it scared me to think what would happen if they were to sled into the road as well as the liability on my part. My solution was to re scape the area with a ecofriendly wall to level it out and make it usable. We also decided on getting a couple dogs and so added a fence. To my surprise, I had neighbors angry with me because their kids could no longer walk out the back door and through my yard but had to walk around, on the parkway walk. Sometimes you cannot win. I guess thats why attorneys are mostly rich.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 6:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2010