finger foods/table foods question

when did your baby start to pick food up and feed himself? when did he start eating finger foods and table foods? My son is almost 11 months old and he gags on everything. he eats the puffs & yogurt melts and he'll even take little pieces of speggati but sometimes he just keeps them in his mouth and doesnt chew them. if i try and give him a little piece of fruit or something, he gags. but i have friends whos children were eating pieces of pizza by a year old...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is 10 months old and she just started to eat/feed herself real food. some things she still will gag herself on, but she's gotten a lot better. try giving him smaller pieces of food. he will get used to it eventually. just keep trying. Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• First of all, don't compare kids, they're all different. Your friend's kids may be good at eating but they may not have other skills that your LO does have. If she gags on stuff then wait a few weeks before reintroducing it.

If you are really worried, talk to your doc about it. The doc will know what is normal and what is to be concerned about better than anyone.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• it is all a matter of practice and the more he tries the better he'll get. Make a sandwich and cut it into little squares and let him pick them up. If you use white bread it more or less dissolves in his mouth, Give him some yogurt in a bowl and his own spoon, it will be messy but he'll love it. It is all about experimentation. You can hand him a plain cookie and let him gnaw on it - cheap store bought plain cookies. Sticks of mild cheese... anything he can hold and stick in his mouth. My first was slow but that was because I worried constantly and didn't really let him try much. By No 4, we would peel a navel orange totally, stick the 10 month old in the bathtub in just a diaper and let her suck the life out of it! Babies rarely choke, especially if you are nearby, you'll get used to all the snorting & snuffling and he will learn to grind it up and swallow.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• does he have a cleft palate if they never said anything you may need to get it checked out
    Anonymous

• From 6 1/2 months I have been giving her foods to feed herself. She gags sometimes, but never has choked. I started giving her bananas in a mesh feeder. I don't feed her. When I give her baby cereal I scoop it on the spoon and hand the spoon to her. She loves feeding herself.
    juliebulie

Answer by juliebulie at 3:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• All children develop differently. My daughter has been eating well with table foods since she was 7 months old and now at 10 months eats everything we do. If your concerned about his development I would talk to your peditrician...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son is almost two and he still eats mash fruit, mash potatoes, cream of tomato, lots of soups.
    Anonymous

• With my first by 12mths she was picking up and eating table foods. With my middle and youngest I started straight on table soft foods at 3mths of age and they started feeding themselves about 6mths of age.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 5:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2010