new dog?

We are debating on getting a new dog/puppy, but I am looking for some input on breeds. We have an English Bulldog and a Great Dane, so I think the next one needs to be little. I am thinking small, furry and cuddly since this is going to mainly be my dog (that way my son gets back his Dane pup). The new dog will have to get along with other animals, children and general household chaos, so anyone have some suggestions on what breeds I should check into?

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 11:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Pets

• My experience w/ beagles was good as far as them getting along w/ children and other pets.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Well, I don't have experience with little dogs, but I'm a firm believer in border collies! They top the list for intelligence, are easy to teach because they love to please, and have the sheep-herding instinct that makes them both protective and gentle. They can be high-energy so should have a yard to run around in (although out of 3 we've had, only one was really hyper). Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• We have a Cocker Spaniel. He seems to be really good, protective, etc. Oh, he's a medium size dog though.
    Anonymous

•  Maybe I should add I am hoping for a dog no more than 15-20 pounds, after the Dane I would consider that small.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I have a PUGGLE. Its a pug/beagle. Shes small 22lbs. Shes good with kids & loves other dogs!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I'm partial to Maltease and Bichons. Virtally no shedding and highly intelligent dogs. The Bichon is more of a homebody and protector. The Maltease has a tendency to run when they see an open door or gate. But both are great companions and love to play games like hide and seek and housebreak very easily.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 6:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I have two cavalier king charles and they are wonderful with kids, other pets and anyone or anything. They are very easy going. I also have a silky terrier who is great-but he can get the "little dog" syndrome. He thinks he is bigger and tougher than he really is. I also have a dachshund and she is wonderful but can be territorial with new people.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010