Deoderant?!

Do they make a deoderant for 1 year olds?! I know that sounds terrible but my son's arm pits are really starting to stink! I guess his whole body is actually...he takes a bath every night so its not that I am not bathing him. Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldnt put it on him. maybe just switch soap. we use regular soap and shampoo on our dd and she doesnt stink as much as she use to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Smelly armpits etc is usually due to bacteria on the surface, which as they feed of the skins oils etc give off the BO smell. Smelly feet are the same, bacteria on the feet, often harboured in warm shoes and socks.
    So, you need to be sure he is being washed carefully in that area, with a very mild anti bacterial soap, and then dried off, to avoid warm little spots for bacteria to multiply.
    Toddlers and baies also sometimes get a build up of dead skin layers in the armpits as they don't fully rotate their arms much. Again it is just perseverance with washing, and a quick wipe in the morning too.
    Deoderants are full of some petty strong chemicals and I wouldn't want to put them on my baby...
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• **babies** **pretty** Sorry
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• As myhearx4 said washing with a mild antibacterial soap. You can also dust lightly with a little baking soda, but try gently cleaning twice or more time a day, not to the point of irritation.

Answer by Bmat at 11:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Are they eating a lot of garlic filled foods or ethnic foods? It tends to permeate through the skin and cause a b.o. smell. My step daughter went through it for a while because her mom was feeding her wayyyyy too much garlic in everything she ate. It was disgusting and no amount of bathing would help because it was permeating off of her entire body. We had to tell her to stop feeding her garlic because she was going to school and stinking very badly.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My dd had a problem with her feet smelling. A friend suggested we add a small amount of epsom salt to her bath - not on a regular basis, but maybe once every couple of months, and not very much. It helped.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My cousin was smelly before and my Aunt found it was because she wasn't drying her off enough.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I don't think so and I also don't think it would be helpful. A young child wouldn't have B.O. the same way as someone who is older than needs deodorant.
    You might want to do the bath in the morning if he tends to get sweaty at night... sweaty hair can be stinky. And change the sheets often so he doesn't get stinky from dirty sheets.
    Make sure you wash well in the creases.... under neck, arm pits and groin area... all of these area's can get stinky
    Make sure he has nice shoes... cheap shoes can make for smelly feet.
    I would also add probiotics to his diet... I have heard that a lack of some of the good bacteria can actually cause funky smells when sweating... probiotics are in things like yogurt or you can find childrens chewables in stores like GNC.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2010