Is it a phase that most kids go through?

Hitting/slapping? My son for the past week and a half has started to hit..mainly when he is tired or frustrated but today slapped at a lil girl at church just b/c. I am doing all I know to do to correct it but he still seems to be doing it regardless. I was just wondering if this is a common phase for most 1 year olds at some point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd went through it a few times
    Anonymous

• It is common... moreso in kids who are hit/slapped/spanked for punishment. My daughter has never been hit in any way for punishment and we still have to correct her sometimes for hitting when she is either overly excited or upset, so it's not exclusive to spanking parents. We do timeouts immediately for hitting and she almost never does it any more.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My daughter did the same exact thing for about a month ALL THE TIME. But I would just hold her hand together and say "Thats not nice, we don't do that" and it just stopped. She still does it sometimes usually when we take something away from her she really wants, but shes pretty much over it. We have a friend that has a son that is does it ALL the time though, but they don't try to correct time. I'm actually kind of hessident taking my daughter over there bc I don't want her getting hit or even pickin up on his bad habit. I think as long as you try to correct it than it will go away in a lil bit. Good luck momma!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• funny my son started this yesterday i finally get rid of the screaming and he starts smacking people, sometimes its been wherever his hand lands but mostly in the face and he thinks it is funny i think it is normal though we just have to correct it as soon as it starts once they think its ok it will be VERY hard to stop it
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If it was part of their nature, you would probably seen signs of it. You may want to keep an eye on maybe some of the other tots he interacts with
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 5:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2010