Why would anyone care that their ancestors died in a war?

It's not as if it makes them special or significant in any way whatsoever, other than being complete idiots. I am unable to fathom why anyone would feel pride in finding out such information.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• my grandpa had a purple heart. the story of how he got it is pretty cool. if you like gruesome stories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I can see being proud that my ancestors died fighting for the freedom that I and the rest of my family enjoy today. Why wouldn't you be proud of that?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• well my great great grandfather fought for the confederacy in the civil war...i wasn't too proud to learn that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am very proud of the history of my family and the role they played in shaping this nation, however, I am not proud of how this nation is now. I bet they would be shocked to see what we have become.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i agree bloobrid.. op could you please explain why it makes them idiots to be proud of their family's history or that someone that shares their blood did something actually worth something with their life
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am proud of the men and women who have faught for our rights and our freedoms. I am very proud of everyone who has the nerve to go on the front line and sacrafice everything. I am especially proud of my relatives past and present who've stood out there on the front line. Who've braved bombs, gunman, suicide bombers, hand to hand combat, etc. Just to make sure that their families, their friends, their neighbors, and those beyond their city limits wake up everyday to what they love.

I am passionate about history. I personally love learning about family members, people I've never met, never heard of previously. People may not agree with war, but it has to be admitted that without war we wouldn't be the country we are today. I personally thank everyone who's made America continue to be America. And Free.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am proud of my husband, father in law, grandfathers,brother in law and uncles who have been in the military. Had they died while in service my children would know about it because having someone in your family willing to serve their country is an honrable thing. My oldest son is currently in the military and my 3rd son leaves for basic in July and if they should (shudder) die while in service I would hope that their brothers would tell their children so that they could be proud of their uncle/uncles. Serving your country (not just this one, every country has military) IS an honorable thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Ooops...didn't mean to be anon.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with feeling a connection to your family. Those dead or alive. And there is nothing wrong with feeling prideful for the events that they took part in.
    Why does it matter to you if they appreciate the duties and deeds of those from their own family?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I enjoyed listening to my granmother talk about our family history. I learned alot. ;such as john witherspoon a founding father signed declaration of indepdence and another founding father helped develop the church of christ in oklahoma to bring to norco,ca.And that my my grandmother who was choearkee indian her family wrote a dairy about the trails of tears and that my great aunt carries it now. My grandmother who came over in a potatoe sack with her family was denied to be on titantic,(thank goodness).And so forth...now that i have children they ask questions because of curiosity and school teaches them the importance of history.So yes i believe it matters.
    cat260

Answer by cat260 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2010