Sister proudly showing breasts while feeding baby...

My lil sis is BF her new baby. She doesn't try to be modest at all. She just whips it out in front of every one. Well my husband is a man and I am a bit weirded out at her boobs being all over. Should I ask her to be more modest at my house or just deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I would ask her to go to another room. There are many men for whom this is an uncomfortable situation, my husband and sons being among them. All our girls breastfeed, but they don't do it in front of other men. If she gets mad at you, don't worry about it. You will be protecting your husband, and there is nothing wrong with that. Modesty made be old-fashioned in some circles, but you can still enforce it in your own home, and that is what I would do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• if it were my house id ask her to be modest. my sil is like that. it makes everyone uncomfortable. i was always one to excuse myself for ten minutes personaly.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• really? you're sure your husband is a man hahahahaha? just messing around....don't let it bother you, she's not doing anything wrong. it's just a boob, it harms no one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I hate when people do that. I don't care to see it. At least give some warning, then I can leave.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• if people breastfeed in public or someones house it doesn't bother me UNLESS they are TRYING on purpose to be blatently obvious about it...then it's kind of obnoxious.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• What do you mean by modest? There's no need for her whole breast to be hanging out, or for it to be out before or after nursing for more than a second or two. But there's really also no need for a blanket or cover. All she needs to do is pull her shirt down to where baby is latched on. I mean baby's head will be covering most of her breast and if she doesn't have her shirt hiked right up there really shouldn't be that much skin showing. Unless one is really looking.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• In YOUR house you can ask that she cover up, but ONLY in YOUR house. No where else. Not at your mom's house at Thanksgiving, not in the mall or the park, not at her house, NOWHERE. And don't be surprised if she gets pissed, because seriously, breasts are no more sexual organs than are necks, lips, or hands. Society's stigma on the breast is totally ridiculous. You see breasts every day (and if he's lucky your hubby does too lol). It's really not a big deal, it's not wrong or immodest.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Modest or not- once a baby is latched on there isnt much to look @. I think unless there are little kids running around who are going to ask 101 questions then I wouldnt give her a hard time. You should support her.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That's her right, but I personally find it offensive. Breastfeed your baby, that's fine, and do it in front of whomever .. Just have the decency to cover up. This isn't a tit bar, so don't show off your breasts to the world. It's not classy and it's disrespectful.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• OP here - I BF'd and I was modest. I had the blankie covering me while baby latched on. My sis simply lifts her shirt and pulls her entire boob out. I swear I have seen that girls breasts more than my own. She'll leave her booby flapping while she gets the baby settled. It's very annoying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010