Very bizarre question...but would like some opinions....

Ok. So what you do if you knew you might be a possible match for someone that is dying in the hospital unless they get a kidney transplant?? The lady is 26 with a 3 year old boy and has been on life support for a few days and she is shutting down. It is a relative of a friend of mine and our blood types are the same and possible tissue. BUT the way Im thinking is that shoudln't I save it in case a family member of mine or my daughter ever needs it?? Is it being selfish to think this way? or is it selfish to not offer it when someone is in desperate need?? Im really struggling with this. I am putting myself in their shoes and wondering how I would feel if it were my life on the line and my daughter I was going to be leaving behind if noone helped me.....please help...thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• id do it. if she died i would regret it forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think that if it was me i would help & not play the what if game.. pray on it you could be giving a 3 yr old his mom back
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Wow, that's really hard. Do you have a family history of medical problems? Do you have a reason to suspect that someone in your family might need your kidney? Is there no one else in your family who might also be a match if that ever came up?

Another factor you need to consider is the cost. Can you afford the surgery? What happens if there is a complication and YOU end up needing a kidney, the moms' body rejects your kidney, or you have serious problems because of the surgery?

You need to weigh all these things and decide what's right for you and your family first, her and her family second.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• hmmm...I think if I were in your shoes, I would want to see if I was a match for the woman who is dying. You are considering not doing IN CASE someone in your family ever needs a transplant. This woman needs a transplant now and has a little boy who is going to be left without a mother. If I were in your situation, although I agree it is a difficult decision, I would donate a kidney to the woman. Good luck!
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I would be tested- you may be beating yourself up & not even be elegible to be a donor. I dont think you should look so far into the future bc someone else may NEVER need it & you MAY have the opportunity to save someones life now.
    Im sure you would hope that someone/anyone would be willing to do the same for you- not only you but for your entire family.
    She is someones daughter, maybe a sister, a niece, a mother.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Ati....USUALLY I believe the recieving family or their insurance pays....not sure about if it's even a positive match...she lives in NC and i live in Las Vegas...they would want the tissue test results sent over there...then there's the thought of the traveling and having to stay there. My DH works a LOT and I have a 19 month old....no we don't have any family history of any medical problems...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• pinkcicle709...that's why I've been going back and forth...i put myself in her shoes and that's why I've been thinking so hard aobut it....i wouldn't want to be tested unless i made a decision....if I WAS a match, i would feel even worse for saying no....ugh....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That's a hard situation to be in. Knowing you're a match, but should you give up your kidney for them? I personally couldn't do it unless it was a close friend or family member. If I don't know the person I couldn't put myself in their shoes. Would I want someone to save my life if they could, yes, but I would never ask someone for their organ. Ever. I don't know that I could give up my organ for someone while I was still alive.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• do unto others. if you were laying in that bed would you want someone to save your life?
    Anonymous

• visit these sites they may help- ww.house.gov/mcdermott/kidneycaucus/25facts.html
    www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077
    if you are donating to her would her or your insurance pick up the bill? i would think you would not have to pay anything out of pocket. pinkcircle709 has very good points
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2010