when can you give solids to a child? My sister gives her five month old chicken.

My sister seems to think its ok to give her 5 month old pasta, chicken and all sorts of food. Its pissing me off. I didn't introduce solids to my child until he was 10 or 11 months old and it definitely wasn't food that harsh. I have told her not to do that that but her and her boyfriend seem to think its ok with doing that and all sorts of other stupid stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you don't do it when people tell you to. you do it when YOU feel she's ready. she's your baby and there is no manual for mothering, you follow your instincts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• anon that may be true but with some moms their instincts are wrong. My ex's stepsister was feeding her 3 month old things like chicken and he was choking on them yet she kept doing it.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• all babies can choke. if a child is growing and always hungry, then i would feed him more food! it is really up to the mother's instinct and im sorry, but other mother's really HATE it when ppl butt into them raising their child. what you think is right and what they think is right might both be a little right. i honestly dont think there is anything wrong with feeding a baby real food at any age. as long as they are digesting it well, then i think its ok! different babies need different things. my son started eating solids at 3 months (stuff like mushed up stuff in cans) and finger foods at 6 mo and stuff like chicken and pasta at 8 or 9 mo. i also started giving him 2% milk at 7.5 months
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 3:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• while this does seem early to start those sorts of foods, 10-11 months before any solids seems as extreme. If the baby is okay, happy and not over/underweight then don't worry about it.We have a totalitarian view of the world , that our way is the only way... babies in india are weaned onto curries and have their first solids within weeks of birth. By comparison in some african nations babies are routinely breastfed until 3 yrs old, without any drama, ridicule or OMG's from the neighbours. They are free to choose how they raise their child, just like you. Don't waste energy on worrying about it... life is too short!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I started pureed foods with my kids when they were 4 months old. I started giving them small bits of my food when they were 6 months old, by the time they were 8 months they were eating exactly what we ate. Giving meats, etc. at 5 months seems a little young, but 10-11 months seems a little old. For me and my kids, the right age was somewhere in the middle. But it's her baby - her dr should be giving her some kind of guidance on nutrition and foods for her son.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i started my kids on chicken and rice at around 6 mts. no problem. it was my choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Children should not be started on solids until AT LEAST 6 months. At that time fruits and veggies can be introduced if the child shows signs of readiness. Meat should not be introduced until at least 9 months.

This is according to the infant nutritionist in my pediatrician's office.

That being said it's her baby. I KNOW it's infurriating to see people using thier children as guinee pigs but all we can do is make good decisions for our children.

My sister is the same way. She started her son on massive amounts of solids at 3 months, gave him whatever formula was on sale that week after giving up on breastfeeding because she wanted my mom to watch him at night so she could sleep (she didn't even ask my mom just demanded that she take him) and other insanely stupid things but at the end of the day it's her kid and I can't do anything but set a good example with my kids.
    Anonymous

• CassCass....

Putting all of your other bad decisions aside you put your baby's LIFE IN DANGER by giving him cows milk before 1 year. There is something in milk that can make babies VERY sick and even kill them.
    Anonymous

• Casscass - 2% milk at 7months -why would you do that when all evidence and advice is that it doesn't have enough nutrition in it for a rapidly growing baby. The type of solids introduced can vary - eg my infant nutritionist does NOT say no meat before 9 months, but 2% milk - you might as well be giving him water, you are starving him of crucial nutrition - Babies take half their nutrition from their milk, so you have effectively halved his diet- top parenting there!They don't make recommendations just cause its fun to write up booklets, it is because there is solid evidence that it is important., I don't understand the stupidity and selfishness of that at all. I'd be reporting you if I knew you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i think its nice how all the bad comments are from 'anon' :) its great. but ANYWAY, my child is perfectly healthy and that was the only thing my son would drink. he starved himself for 3 whole days because he wouldnt drink anything at 7 mo old. he refused to breastfeed anymore and he would not drink formula at all. would you let your child starve? i think not.... every child is different and my son if perfectly healthy today. thanks for the genuine concern!!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 3:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2010