Trying to plant a garden!

My DD and I are going to start a garden. Ive never really had one before. Wondering what steps I should take to get the area ready for this and what to plant when. Were thinking of some veggies and probably some of the easier flowers to take care of. Tulips, daffodils maybe. Any suggestions or tips?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Look up garden videos on Youtube. I found them extremely helpful!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes are easy to grow.

As far as flowers, I always plant by seeds...

Daffodils and tulips are fine, but I like flowers that bloom longer..like all summer. And daffodils and tulips grow from a bulb...you plant the bulb in the fall, dont expect anything until the next spring, or maybe not till the spring after that. They come up each year though which is nice...but they dont last long enough for me.

As far as getting a garden area ready..all we do is till up the ground..usually a few times before planting.

Flowers from seed that grow easily and plentiful are marigolds, zinnias, bachelor button, sunflowers, diff. variety of daisies....or you can plant already grown petunias and begonias and they flourish.

Pay attention on the seed packet or plant label...if they need sun, partial sun, shade, etc. Thats important.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 11:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2010