Allergies or a Cold?

My 5month old has been coughing and has a runny nose, its clear but I cant seem to get it to stop. Im not sure if hes got a cold or if he has allergies from the weather. I havent seen a dr yet, in the meantime does anyone know what I can do to help him, we try using an aspirator but it doesnt seem to be helping and I've used Saline drops and that isnt helping either. Please help if you can poor little guy looks miserable!

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is the runny nose clear or phlegm like? If it clear then it allergies. The only thing that can stop an allergic reaction is getting rid of the allergen. A doctor can tell you what to avoid, what to do at home such eliminating carpets anything that minimizes dust, or the Doctor can also suggest to stay indoors when the pollen levels are high. Also a good thing is the use of an air conditioner.
    Anonymous

• If it's clear then it's allergies. Yellow and green are signs of an infection. We learned with my oldest that he's allergic to cats when he was about 2. Now that we've gotten rid of the cat he doesn't have any more colds and hardly ever gets sick anymore. They have him on Singulair, which works wonders when he's staying at my inlaws
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 7:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• At 5 months old it could also be teething.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm no doctor but I suffer from awful seasonal and environmental allergies and in my experience the clear "running like a tap" nose is allergies. Colds are stuffy, thick (ew sorry) and "swollen shut" feeling nose.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Its probably allergies, but as far as the AC goes cant, ours is broken so I have to keep the windows open or our house is like a suana. It runs constantly and its clear.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010