pregnant #2 how to help a older sibling feel special

Just found out im pg with #2 and i have a two yr old boy! just wondering how your child took bringing in another baby, how did you make them feel special?
How much harder did you think it was with another child please tell me some stories Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you can make him feel special by allowing him to participate in the care of his little sibling as often as possible. also, don't forget to try to spend some alone time with your toddler during the babies nap time. with a new baby he will probably feel left out.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• ummm...keep giving him your attention, kinda seems like a given
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i was trying to think of special things to do for him to make him feel special

im not going to just not act like hes not there hes my1st born wont ever try to make him feel left out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• of course you wont TRY to make him feel left out. but he's a self absorbed, ego-centric toddler. and that darn baby is going to take up 50% of the time that you used to spend on only him!

You could throw him a big brother party! make him feel special about being a big brother. ...kinda like a baby shower, except focused on the older sibling.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm pregnant right now and have a 2 year old dd. I've let her be present at all the ultrasounds, let her be the one to show off the pictures, we just involve her in any way possible. My OB delivered dd too, and recommended we buy her a baby doll and give it to her for the first time the day we bring her home from the hospital. That way she can care for her baby (feed/change) as I care for mine. (She said she recommends it for parents of boys too, but some dads don't like their boys having dolls like that) That was just her suggestion but I liked the idea, we'll probably do that but more importantly I just want to include her in every way that's safe. On top of that I want to still find moments to give her undivided attention. I know you were asking people who already had 2, but figured I'd still share my plans... I'm worried about the same:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• my son loves babies his dad prob wont like it much but one day he will be a daddy too! Thanks everyone and i love the big brother party idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We got our ds a baby doll that he could take care of and that he could be the daddy of. He would change his baby, feed his baby, etc while we took care of the "new baby". He would be there with us doing it.

We had a big recliner and he would sit and snuggle with me while I nursed our dd.

We got him the Little Critter Book that talks about being a big brother.

Some people threw me a surprise baby shower - we got him some special big brother presents afterward.

Lots of love and attention.

We told him that I was having a new baby brother or sister for him to be able to play with when they got big enough.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh, if your dh has a problem with the doll thing, tell him about my ds - we did it, and our ds is now 17, is a "sensitive guy" who is good with little kids and is romantic and a gentleman with the girls he's dated, but is also "macho guy" too - he does Scouts, likes to hang out with buddies and play video games, plays football, plays soccer (he's the goal keeper and just last week got all busted up / broken nose, taking cleats to the face after diving on a ball :-( ... )

He played "Daddy" with dolls when he was little, and our dd played with cars - they would play together - with no problems :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• what i did when i was pregnant with #2 and #3 as well was i started talking about a new baby as soon as i found out i was pregnant. i had a book that showed pics. of the baby inside the womb and showed them how our new baby looks now every month. i took them to the ultrasound. i let them pick out the decortations and paint color for the nursery after we found out the sex. we did craft projects to decorate the nursery. we had a cabbage patch kid to practice nice touch vs. too rough. i pretended the baby was real and pretended to nurse it and change diapers, clothes, etc. and gave them jobs like throwing away the dirty diaper, getting a new one, picking out the outfit, etc. this was really good bc it gave them practice in finding something else to do when i was nursing, etc. i also played games with them like what do babies eat?? (ex. do babies eat cheeseburgers?? nooooo..... they eat boobies!) i also bought them each a (contd
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• present and took it to the hospital and when they came to see us in the hospital i said baby has a present for her two big brothers. they really loved that lol. my oldest was 2 1/2 when baby brother came along and then baby brother was 1 1/2 when baby sister came along. i thought there would be jealousy issues bc my younger son has a very aggressive personality, but he is great to her and she adores him. gl :D and congrats!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2010