My little girl is afraid to poop. Have you experienced this and what did you do?

I'm not taking about potty training - we haven't even started that - and I know she's not constipated. She is simply afraid to poop.

Two weeks ago she was constipated but she's been taking Miralax ever since and hasn't had any problems. Two days ago she started refusing to poop. When the urge to go hits her, she goes rigid, stands on tip-toe, and clenches all her muscles tight until the urge passes. I finally had to give her a laxative AND a suppository to get her to go after watching her fight it for over 12 hours.

What can I do to help calm her fears? It is heart breaking to watch and not be able to do anything.

Asked by kaycee14 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How about a "reward" or just plain old cheering! I've noticed that we have to be very careful about what we say to them because when we are joking or being sarcastic, they take us seriously. We don't complain about poo in any way - we may comment on its smell or something but not in a negative way at all. In fact, we do just the opposite so my daughter is proud when she poos and lets everyone know she's done it.

Answer by tulip40in05 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• She is probably just scared because when she was constipated it hurt so bad. Just keep giving her laxitives and suppositories to make it soft. She might have an anal fissure or tear so it hurts when she gets the urge. Has the doctor looked at it? They might be able to prescribe something that is numbing to help her until she gets over it.

Answer by sapient at 12:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• give her lots of apple juice it works like magic for my daughter.

Answer by kmc624 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my cousin daughter wouldn't go they read her lots of books how its good and healthy and that everyone does it and videos as well

Answer by Patience1 at 3:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• ONE ITs i think horrible to give your kids that read what really inside that box of laxitives give her some of georges aloe vera water like 2 sips once a day for 3 days depending on her age. or give her some papaya and dont give her any bread milk or dairy it or bananas so shes not constipated give her more brewers yeast to help her go. apple juice is pretty unhealthy even the natural ones have a lot of sugar its better to make the juice from the apples instead of buying it

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Sometimes both my kids tend to get scared when it's time to go. They say things like "My tummy hurts!!" and I just hold them on the toilet or at least rub their back or hold their hand, tell them it'll be alright, get them whatever book that might interest them to read...

Answer by TXdanielly at 6:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i would talk to my doctor - maybe it hurts her when it comes out so she is trying to keep it from hurting - see what the doc says to do - the only experience withthis that i have had is my lil bro thought it was so disgusting that he would dry heave and sometimes throw up from just pooping.

Answer by vakatia at 2:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008