my daughter is 18 and in college, she has insurance through her dad and I was wondering

Am I wrong to have her pay her co-pays when she sees the DR.? I tell her she has the money and she needs to realize that $20 is better then paying the whole bill, and some insurance company;s have higher copays then that!
I just want her to be independent, she doesn't want to be...her dad is a mooch off his parents and so is his sister, they are both in their 40's and would rather drive to their mom's house and use a stamp then buy their own.. my ex will go hang out with his dad just to drink his beer, so he doesn't have to buy it. I have always hated this behavior!
Am I wrong to have her pay for things on her own? I do buy her things when I go visit, I saw her over Easter and took her shopping, spent $200 on her. So it is not like I refuse to buy her things, I just want her to grow up and get used to being a responsable adult.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like you are instilling great values mama. Keep doing what you are doing and do not feel bad about it.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You are doing exactly the right thing by having her pay on her own. Good job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• She should pay for her own things. She's old enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thanks! I just think she is worried about having less money for fun stuff, she works and has money and for her to spend $20 on a copay and because of it not getting to buy a $20 bra is life and it is good to learn it young. I just refuse to have a mooch
    btw this is the op...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think your in the right to teach her that it is her responcibleilty but i just hope that if she is sick or something is really wrong that she will go to the doctors $20 co-pay or not most college students don't want to spend the last $20 that they have for the week. If you know what Im saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I won't make my kids pay their own dr copays, but that's just me. They are 8 and 10 and earn their own spending money, but as their parent I pay for their necessities.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• LOL..well 8 and 10 is VERY different from an 18 year old in college who is partly on her own and needing to gradually learn more responsibility. There are probably things you (missanc) that you do have your kids pay for to learn responsibility.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2010