Why?... Someone please just tell me why(part vent)(sex offenders)

I just read a post from another mom giving us a link to check our area for sex offenders. Thank you for that by the way.
My question is why? Why are they allowed to stay that CLOSE to these elementary school. Indecency with a child/sexual contact. Agg. Sexual assult of a child.
I mean really.?! Just having them register is not enough IMO. No matter how much I may prepare my children, its info like this that creeps under my skin & makes me look at every person that crosses my path as a potential harmer of my kids. Why is nothing done to make sure that they DO NOT live next to schools? I feel like its temptation to them. I tell you now, I'd burn this world DOWN if it were one of mine. I PRAY it'll never be. I guess my question is: Do you believe something should be done about how close they are allowed to live next to schools? Is it wrong to want them to relocate? If they lived next 2 your LO's school how would u feel?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 4:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Someone who harms an innocent child in such a way should never be given a second chance. By that I mean, death penalty. This is a problem and a big one in our world today. The destruction that comes from their acts reaches far into the future and the pain and trauma reverbrates from it for generations. It has become so widespread. There is no penalty for it. A short jail sentence and release for good behavior. Really? We have to make room in there for non violent criminals? It has to stop. These individuals need to live in fear of acting out on what is inside their sick minds. We have a place to harbor these sickos and it's called internet pornography. It just keeps them burning from their sick fantasies until their next attack. Why is it that our society has become so friendly to evil and so angry at the traidtional values that kept this stuff at bay?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Some places do have laws about how close they can live to the schools. If your State doesn't, seriously, I would push / start a letter writing campaign to have one enacted.

PLEASE do not take this next part badly - because personally, I think people who sexually assault children (below a certain age, I'm not saying some 18 yr old who slept with his 17 yr old gf...) should have PERVERT tattooed on their face - to say the VERY least, but... Unfortunately, the argument / problem is that with so many schools day cares, home day cares, and parks around it's almost impossible to find a place for them to live that isn't too close to one of those places.

The last place we lived - a very nice neighborhood - great schools, etc - we had 2 level 3 offenders move in between us and the school :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I take no offense or anything to that. I understand that some guys and girls get labeled a sex offender for just that reason (18 and having sex with a 17 yr old bf/gf)... That i get. It can be kinda harsh to carry that stigma if it was consensual. BUT i'm talking CHILDREN. Small children unable to defend themselves. I agree with the tattooing. It just hurtts my heart that find a safe haven is as easy as it used to be.

4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh, I agree - I just didn't want you to think that I was saying "oh, well, since there's schools everywhere, who cares..." - because that's not what I meant.

Just that so many times, that's the argument that's used - that there are so many schools, parks, etc where kids go, that it's impossible to find a place for them to live that isn't near those places, so they (the State) doesn't even bother with trying.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh, and I don't mean to be negative, but honestly, it wasn't that it used to be safe, it was just that it wasn't as well known. I was sexually abused as a kid, and so was my mom. When I was a kid (I was born in 1972, graduated in 1990), more attention was being given to it, but when my mom was a kid, "people just didn't talk about that sort of thing" - she even told her Dr about it, and still nothing was done - it was her father that abused her (and later abused us - her reasoning for taking us around him at all was that she truly believed that it happened to her because she was a bad person, and we weren't bad people, so we were safe...)

We just have to teach, teach, teach our kids, and be as careful as we can to keep them as safe as we can :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Agreed ! A Registered sex offender moved into the basement of my Aunt's next door neighbors house, and what do you know, the park is all of like 10 ft. away, and the elementary school is about 2 blocks away, and the middle school is about 5 blocks away. I even caught this sex offender riding by my brothers elm. school. I tried warning the school and they told me "He wouldnt bother me" I could not believe my ears! so I had to take things into my own hands, and thankfully got some neighbors together and went to a Local neighbor who was a police officer; He said no one made him aware of the situation, he even looked it up himself, and the man WAS an active Sex offender. I cant believe it, as many children that have gone missing, you'd think society would be ontop of shit [sorry for the language) but I was a child who's childhood was taken from her, and it upsets me when I know something could've been done !
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 4:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am very sorry that happened to you sailorswife. I do agree with you. I teach and teach and teach my children. But dang nowadays its the teachers, the neighbors, ppl you've known all your lives. Thats what bothers me. I feel like with all the things the world worrys about day to day. Why is the safety of our childern, our future... not of real concern. Of pressing concern.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I would keep my child far away from the school i will send her to a private school. I will too end this world if my child was a victim. i pray also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We live 2 blocks from a park and 1/2 a mile from en elem school. I thought we wouldn't have to worry because where I used to live had rules about where sex offenders could live. After we moved in, I got the website to look them up, our next door neighbor was on there, his victim was a girl under 8 years old. I have a 3 year old daughter. My boyfriend even met him before we moved in and told me our neighbor was a really cool guy, told him the neighborhood was a good mix of people and pointed out where all the police and correction officers lived. I only saw him after I knew and we didn't talk, he knew I knew. My daughter never plays outside without me or boyfriend right there, not even with her much older cousins. She won't be running in the sprinklers or playing in a kiddie pool. The scariest thing is, he registered and I know about him, what about those I don't?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I wish I knew the answer! In our city there is literally a school on every other corner. How do we keep them away from our children? I realize some people get a lable they don't deserve, but in my humble op...I think if you are convicted proof positive of a sex crime against a child, you belong in jail for good, I don't think these individuals can be rehabilitated.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010