Is their a doctor in the house? Colitis question.

About a year ago last February I had a colonoscopy (sp?) and was told that I had Ulcerative Colitis (sp?). Over the past year we have tried a few different medications to control the symptoms (not the problem), but nothing has worked. I could not see the doctor that did the colonoscopy for treatment due to insurance reasons, so I had been seeing my primary for that. But when I was not getting better after a year they sent me back to the original doctor. That one wanted a repeat colonoscopy because (his words) "You may no longer have the Ulcerative Colitis"... huh? From what I read on WEBMD and Wiki, that is not something that can just go away.... especially (I would think) if you are still having symptoms. So here is the question... Is it something that can just go away? I can not go through that again without being really sure... between rides, sitters, and prep... I was surprised I got through the last one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Health

• my husband has it- maybe you need a specialist...our family doctor did not want to perscribe as much asacol as he needs -she felt it was a dangerous amount- once he got to the specialist he was like OMG these doctors make me crazy, the amount she perscribed him will basically do NOTHING and he wrote a better perscription (for the amount he was normally taking). But the month he had to cut the dose down was awful...
    He has had it for about 8 years now and as long as he stays on his asacol without missing doses and has a colonoscopy every 2 years he has been...ok

Still though- you never know when he will have a bad day-and it usually happens wehn we have plans to do stuff-or when we are already out : (

From what I know- it does not "go away"
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No, it doesn't go away. It can be kept under control, though, with medication. My mil and oldest daughter both have it. They both take Asacol, which works wonderfully for them.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 5:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Nope, it doesn't go away, I have had it for 4 years now and still have flare ups. I have found that cutting dairy and some other things from my diet have helped to get it more under control. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2010