I am allergic to our cat. We have had her for under a year. We got her in the winter time. Now that it is getting warmer I am coughing all the time because of her hair. She sheds really bad. I don't think I can live this way and I am pregnant and was told it isn't good for my health. But my husband doesn't want to find her a new home. I don't want to fight. What do I do?

I love animals but how can you keep an animal you are allergic to? I can't take any meds right now either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Pets

• If you want to keep her, tell your husband that he has to bathe her and brush her out. Both of these will keep the shed down a lot and gets rid of the fur in a controlled manner. Granted the cat will hate the bath while its happening but cats generally like the effects of the bath once they are out. Tell the hubby that help sweeping up her fur is also a must. Other suggestions are getting a few air purifiers to put in the rooms that you are in most. These will help clean out the air and lessen the effect on you. I am also preggo with cats and allergies and was told that I could take claritin. I haven't yet but I have used vicks vapor rub and that seems to help.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm allergic to cats no matter what is done. In fact brushing them makes it worse because it brings out their dander which is really where the allergins are for me. I love pets but I also believe that we have to be good to ourselves and if you allergies are intense enough to interfere with your life, you ultimately have to put your health first. And you probably wouldn't be able to give the cat the attention it wants if you have to avoid it! I would personally put it to my husband as a health issue. Be willing to try some things and put it on him to follow through since you don't need to aggrivate your allergies. But he needs to be willing to give it a good home if they don't work or he won't make the effort.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I worked as a vet tech for many years ~ and I'm allergic to cats. The vet also was. At the moment I have eight as pets ~ because I love them allergies or no allergies. The vet taught me to wipe them with a damp wash cloth. No bathing or vigorous brushing, just wipe them down two or three times a day. It works, although it takes some time for most people to develop some tolerance.

Also, this is shedding time (they shed again in the fall). In another week things should get better.

On the flip side, if you are truly miserable, you do need to consider your health. Try wiping your cat down for a few days and see if things get better. You could also try confining the cat to one room until she's done shedding. One last thing ~ the pollen counts this spring are at record highs. It's entirely possible that your coughing isn't from the cat, but the pollen, even if it's never bothered you before. Feel better!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Brush, brush, brush, brush & brush! Get an undercoat rake or a furminator and brush some more! The less cat hair there is floating around, the less it will affect your allergies. There are cat shampoos with allergen reducers, bathe the cat about once a week. (They may hate it at first, but if you keep a routine, they will get used to it!)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Sorry I am all for animal rights but this is ridiculous. My DH would get rid of the cat in a heart beat if it was causing me so much discomfort. Go on craigslist, explain you situation, post a pic, and put it up for adoption. You have more important things to worry about...and if your allergic there is a good chance your baby will be too.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Your allergic to cat dander. Getting a air purifier in your house will help A LOT, give her a bath and yes I said give your cat a bath. It will help. I am a Reg Vet Tech and it helps. I have the exact problem you do and work with Cats and own one.
    You can give your cat a bath every 2 weeks it will help or you can also shave down your cat it will help on the shedding.
    I hope this helps
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 5:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would find the baby a new home. My DH would never tell me he wouldn't get rid of something I was allergic to. Especially while pregnant. You might be able to compromise with him if he isn't giving, or if you don't want to fight it with him, put the cat on the porch. Kitty will be fine outside, and since it's old enough now to know who you guys are and where it lives, being outside will be great.

Even if the cat's been declawed, do not feel as though you're neglecting it by leaving it outside. My parents' cat, Jasper, climbs trees, privacy fence, and barn beams!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2010