Is making a kid be a lack key kid cruel ? up to what age? Should parents just pay for after school care or get a babysitter?

What does a parent do if they do not get off work until 7p.m. or later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• "latch key kid" This is one of the main reasons I am a SAHM - I do not want my kids coming home to an empty house. Even when I was in middle/high school, I knew so many of my friends who got in to so much after school when their parents were still at work. My mom was home and made sure she knew where I was, what I was doing, helped me with my homework. Obviously you can't have a sitter for a teenager.
    I don't think it's "cruel" - parents do what they have to. I don't think kids should be left alone, but definitely not before 12 or so.

Answer by missanc at 8:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I started staying home alone after school in 2nd grade--it was kinda fun, but that is different times, now there are so many crazies out there---I don't leave my kids home alone yet!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• there are state laws regarding stuff like this as well--
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If a child is old enough to get home safely, no I don't think it's cruel. I my case, and we had a fairly ideal situation, I was 13 and my sister was 11 when our mom went back to work. By this time we lived in a place where we had to take the bus to and from school so we had a ride home. That is probably one of the reasons it worked out so well. Our parents didn't have to take off work to take us home. We were only home by ourselves for a few hours. We had a rule that we were to do our homework first and then any chores that needed to be done - dishes, cleaning, etc. We didn't get into trouble and didn't run around or anything like that. Then again we actually listened to our parents and didn't push the boundaries too much. Our parents set consequences and stuck with them.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes I think it's cruel and irresponsible. I don't know about other school districts but ours offers before and afterschool care. Your kid can be at school from 6am-6pm. And I think that is just as cruel...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Times do not change our knowledge of them changes. I was a latch key kid and it cannot be helped sometimes. My guys were in before and after school care they were in good hands and I knew it so I do not judge parents who have to do this.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2010