Do seasonal allergies affect schools?

I was wondering how many kids stay at home because of seasonal allergies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• We see an increase in kids staying home because they are too miserable to come to school- you do not have to be contagious to not come to school. The kids appreciate the time to adjust to allergy meds and the schools appreciate less trips to the nurse. We do understand that sometimes kids come to school with allergies and we work with them to be as comfortable as possible. Its a balancing act-as a Mom with a kid with seasonal allergies-I get it wrong about as many times as I get it right!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i stay home from work if it is bad i mean really bad i get bad headaces and i can't do my job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Pollen brings misery to the season!
    Days when the pollen count is really high my son stays home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If he's miserable he's staying home. I walked outside and my black truck had turned Yellow, I'M miserable and I usually don't get allergies so I can only imagine how bad he feels.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 10:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son gets allergies soooooooo bad. He has missed 4 days of school this month alone. last year we racked up 14 absences all together. We have tried numerous allergy meds(as "anon 9:09") posted. Finding the right combination is a key factor, but doesn't always help 100%. We have battled allergies in the spring in fall since he was a baby. I used to love spring and fall. Now I can honestly say, they are the most expensive seasons in our family.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• For some reason my son's allergies get worse at school so we decided for him to stay home while he gets used to the new season.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 10:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Starfire-have you tried the nasal rinse? I was so against it for so long and I am not sure why, it just seemed yuck-but since we have started it with my older son it has made a huge difference-he is on eye drops, nose spray and a pill and was still getting symptoms so we added the nasal rinse and he is so much better-just thought I would pass it on from someone that has been there, done that!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'll try it. Thank you soyousay!!! Where do I find it? How do I bribe get my son to use it coopertivly? <~~~Mispelled?

Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010