Is this a good plan for my picky eater toddler?

Breakfast 8:30- cereal or waffles or bagel or toast plus fruit

Snack 11:00 fruit or yogurt

Lunch(after nap) usually between 1:30 and 2:30 Need ideas!

Afternoon snack 4:00 goldfish or graham crackers or something like that

Dinner 6:00 whatever daddy cooks

The plan is to keep him from eating nothing but junk which he currently has way to much of without him starving. I am also going to start him on pediasure. Any other advice is appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Looks great-
    my picky eater liked food he could dip for lunch
    cut up veggies and dip
    cut up meat and dip
    even grilled cheese dipped in pizza sauce
    My picky eater is 10 and still picky-he is thinner than I would like, but his activity level tells me he is getting the energy he needs from his food. Its hard not to worry, but it seems with some effort-they do get what they need!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I would give a fruit and vege, with yogurt.

Crackers and some fruit or vege.

Don't give up he is still young, My daughter is 14 and is very picky, it stinks...

Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• if you do not feed it to him, he can not eat it. It is NEVER the child's fault for liking junk if they were fed it. I wouldn't used peiasure- it's junk. Fresh fruit & veg for a snack rather than yogurt (more calcium in blueberries than in milk- do your research)

If you're at all interested in quick, easy food that kids will eat, check this out

Just don't give in, it's really, really simple.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Pedisure is not junk, it has a purpose. OP is trying to do better, lay off and go take care of your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• looks awesome. My son is a super picky eater.
    Home made chicken nuggets are good too.
    (boneless skinless chicken breast dipped in "egg wash", dredged through plain bread crumbs seasoned with salt n pepper, baked in a greased pan at 350 degrees til done)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I agree, pediasure is NOT junk!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I have a picky eater also. He just turned 3 and our Dr. told us to limit his milk intake to 20 oz a day that he needed more water and only 1 serving of juice. We have been mixing half and half milk/protien drink and she said to still limit it. Our son would rather drink than eat. We always offer a well balanced mix of foods and snacks and he will some but his taste right now is for bland foods and pasta. I've heard this is typical to go through a bland phase.

Veggies with dipping sauce
    Cheese is always good.
    Our son does like to help cook and prepare meals and snacks. He does tend to at least try foods when he does this. Doesn't always like it but...

There is a cookbood available that shows you how to slip all kinds of veggies into foods. Can't think of the woman's name but she's married to a comic.
    2mommies4g

Answer by 2mommies4g at 2:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Try the Sneaky Chef books. They sneak veggies into kids in their favorite foods. I sneak them for my whole family, you can't taste them, and we love the recipes. Ds likes to eat some veggies, but not much so I can get him variety while I teach him to actually like it :) Good luck
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son did not like pediasure, I don't know why. So I talked to his pediatrician and he told me to give him boost drinks that you find by the vitamins, and he wouldn't drink those either. But he has no problem just drinking milk as long as it is whole. And he loves things he can dip! Doesn't matter what it is as long as it can be dipped! Makes my job easier haha. Homemade chicken nuggets with a little ranch and homemade fries, ummmmm grilled cheese and ranch, there are so many things you can give your child even if they are picky eaters and I wish you the best of luck!
    Shawnie8187

Answer by Shawnie8187 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• The only time my 3yo DS is a picky eater is while he's at preschool! He just stares at his food, even if he'll eat it at home.
    Buy a tub of yogurt (one with the active cultures and all the good stuff) and let him pick which berries and fruits he wants in it. Make jello and put fruit in it. Buy a few big blocks of cheese and cube them. Most kids will eat veggies if you let them sprinkle grated cheese on them. Boneless chicken breast can be fried or baked in strips, cubed into chicken salad for sandwiches or shredded in a tortilla (and sneak whatever you can in there) for a burrito. Home made mac and cheese is good especially if you can find pasta shapes (Fiori looks like flowers).
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 7:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010