Old enough for Facebook

How old do YOU think is old enough for a child to have a Facebook account? I know all kids are different and have differet maturity levels...so for the sake of making this easier...lets just base on age.

Heather_Rayne

Asked by Heather_Rayne at 10:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say 14---I think you have to be 12 to have a facebook account, but I think that is too young!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son and all his friends were around 12.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son was 10. I have his passwords and monitor his activity and am his friend. I also remind him of dangers and his had a schoolmate killed by a man posing as a girl. So, he has seen the dangers. So, with all that, I determined him mature enough. But, if I have to leave all that out and just give an age based on everyone....I would say 16, at least. Not all kids are mature enough, but, at 16..they can drive a car. They should be able to handle themselves on line.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You need to ask yourself - does your son really NEED FB? does he not see his friends everyday at school and socialize with them there? FB can be harmless but it can also be harmful - i hear more horror stories than good stories. FB was designed for college kids that wanted to stay in touch over the summers or after they graduated - it's not even meant for kids that are still in school - seriously what is the point? We don't have to give our kids everything they ask for people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son talks to friends from Virginia and Texas. We have moved 2 times. We are now in Louisiana. So, yes, he talks to those friends. Not ones from his current school. You might want to know all the facts before you judge the situation. It is cheaper to talk over FB than over the telephone. And easier than handing over my ell phone everytime.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My DD is 9 so she can talk to the half brother, and other family members
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm going to say maybe 15 or 16.  My daughter will be 14 this summer and does not yet have a Facebook account. I'm not sure when I will think she is old enough, but I don't see it happening in the near future. When she was 11 a friend helped her set up a MySpace account without our permission. After looking at her friend's page my husband and I were shocked at what kids her age were posting. I think Facebook may be less tasteless than MySpace, but I still think there is too much inappropriate content and too many ways for a young person to get in over their head.  I expect we will allow her to have an account in the next couple of years so we can guide her in appropriate Internet behavior before she's out on her own.  It scares me, but I know we do have to address it at some point.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• 18
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010