How frusrated does your toddler get?

If dd does something that takes her more than one try, she will throw whatever it is. From shoes to pj's to puzzles and even crayons or forks, if she gets frustrated it's gone. I always make her pick it up then stick her n a time out for throwing and to give her a chance to calm down, but this hasn't changed in 6 mos and has actually been getting worse!!!! She's 2.5 and has a temper like her daddy. I'm trying to teach her how to handle it instead of reacting to it... Is anyone else going through this??

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is the SAME way - Just like daddy too~~ I think this is just totally his temperment lifelong.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Is your family Italian? LOL

Seriously sometimes the temper pass on generation. It's not necessarily bad to have a temper. Your toddler is in the process of learning new things, she'll get it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes, I am hoping it is just a phase, she is 17 months and gets very frustrated and thorws little tantrums. I look at hubby and he looks at me...we both have bad tempers, non-violent of course...lol. She is so little and cute and I really do hope it is just her trying to communicate and getting frustrated with figuring things out and not in her genes temper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It's very common for toddlers to become that frustrated and throw a tantrum because of it. The severity of it depends on the toddler, but every toddler has it in one way or another. One way to stray her from that is to encourage her that she can do it, instead of putting her in time out. Try positive reinforcement. When she's putting on shoes .. Sit down next to her with your shoes and show her how to put on your shoe. Then have her try it with her shoe. If she doesn't get it tell her "Good try, you almost got it. Now can you try it again?" Try to keep a positive attitude. Keep assuring her that she'll get it, it just takes some time and patients.

Most toddlers do grow out of it. Hopefully your little one does too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh yes. My son is 19 months old and is constantly throwing temper tantrums over the silliest things! The other day he was trying to put a truck on top of another truck and it kept falling off. He threw himself on the floor and started crying. Things like this happens all the time. We just ignore the tantrums and he stops crying within a minute. I'm hoping when he's 2 1/2 he's not like this, as I can just imagine how much worse it can be!

Good luck to you!!
    Anonymous

• We try to give her praise for everything. When she puts her pants on inside out or backwards we tll her she did really good but if we say "they're backwards" she screams no and takes them off then throws them! If I offer to help or show her an easier way she cries and starts hitting/kicking me which is why she ends up in timeout! I sure do hope it's a phase, so far our best bet is just saying "yay! You did it! Good job!" and hope she doesn't see anything wrong. When she does say "I can't do it" I always say "of course you can!" which calms her down for the minute.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• When mine does this I sit down with her and tell her pick up whatever she threw. I then calmly tell her to try again. We repeat until she gets it right a few times. This has actually worked to help calm the temper greatly. I don't do time out over frustration because we all go through it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010