Kitten Scratched my 7 month old.

My so and I were watching a kitten and its 3 months old so of course very playful and my son LOVES it, while this morning the kitten came out of no where jumped and scratched right down my sons face it goes from his forehead to his neck. thankfully it only got the side of his face no his eye or lip. I instantly washed it with soap and warm water cleaned it with some witch hazel and used some ice on his face to help the swelling. Should i be worried? and is there anything else I can do?

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 11:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not be worried. Kittens are notorious for things like this, especially if they are very playful. If you're attatched to the kitten, (because this will happen again), consider declawing if it is an inside pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That's what kittens do. When I had kittens I was constantly scratched up. It will heal quickly because it's a very thin scratch. Put some Neosporin on it to help it heal faster and watch out, it will happen again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• When I was 15, I was playing with one of the stray cats around my grandmas house. He was a pretty big one, sitting on my lap and loving allover me. Out of nowhere, he wraps his arms around my left arm, digs his claws into me, and sinks his teeth deep into my arm. I stood up, thinking he would get scared and let go but he just hung there! So I started yelling and trying to seperate his jaws but I couldnt get my hand around his head. A friend of mine that lived across the street heard me yelling and ran over. His hands were much bigger so he did what I was trying to do; he grabbed the back of the cats head and used his thumb and middle finger to seperate the cats jaws. That cat did NOT want to let go! So my friend choked it for about a minute and a half and finally it let go, attacked my friend, my friend kicked it and it ran off. I went to the hosptial and had to have a shot and an antibiotic. So I dont let my kids near them..
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• kittens do this just like puppies. Your little guy will be fine soap and water is great. If it itches a little cortizone cream works great. This was not some wild animal that might have cooties etc. Cat scratches just sting thats all.
    willywonka86

Answer by willywonka86 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• A stray cat (whose belly you touched or it possibly was hurt/wild) is not the same thing as a freaking tame tiny little kitten.

A kitten can learn really quickly not to attack people. You can water-sprayer train it. Get a water-sprayer and fill it with water. The next time the kitten is aggressive at all, spray it with the water. It'll probably only take a couple times and as soon as the cat sees the sprayer it'll run the opposite direction. Also, do NOT play rough with it.

You can also just take heed that you're just babysitting it. Anyway, it is cruel to declaw cats and it is not exactly intelligent to blame an entire species for ONE that was not tame (tigress up there) or was mean -- I mean -- if that were clear thinking none of us would trust each other.

Just be loving to the kitten. That's the only way to make a cat a nice cat. Don't be punitive or it'll just become violent.

You could iodine the scratch.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, declaw the cat for doing what cats do. *rolls eyes*
    For the OP, this isn't uncommon. Kittens are learning how to play and don't know not to scratch. Just watch them together and if the cat starts getting too rough, just separate them, punishing the cat will only cause further problems. The scratch itself will be fine, just keep it clean and watch for signs of infection. You can trim the kittens nails, if you are unsure how to do it ask your vet to show you. Another option is Soft Paws. Go to www.softpaws.com for information on them. They are caps that cover the claws so they can't do any damage. I use them on my cats and they work great!
    pharo

Answer by pharo at 3:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My kitten has been doing the same thing to my son so I went to Petsmart and bought a pack of Soft Claws. It's a rubber nail cover that you glue over their claws so they can't scratch anymore. So far it's worked really well and doesn't bother her at all
    Dajennible

Answer by Dajennible at 4:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I wouldnt worry about it, When we first got our cat he would scratch my oldest all the time, at the time he was our only child and he was 6mo old and the kitten was about a month or so old...I'd had him since he was a week old. Anyway, now the cat is 1 1/2 yrs old and my oldest is 2 and the cat doesn't scratch him anymore, our son even lays on him to give him hugs and he just rolls away so that our son isn't squashing him and we have another baby, he's 8mo old now and he's crawling, so the sometimes gets the cat and he just gets up and moves...he's a great cat...
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My 4 year old is no stranger to cat scratches and bites. She tortures the cats, now they stay away from her. I clean her little wounds with soap and water and put a little A&D on it and thats it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it. I have needed antibiotics for a cat scratch, but it was a stray cat. You do need to watch it because even a kitten can have bacteria from a litter box in her claws, but it seems you washed it well, and I wouldn't worry. If there's any sign of infection, get some neosporin if that's baby safe (I'm not sure) and if that stuff doesn't work, and there are still signs of infection, I would let the dr know. We have two cats and thankfully both of them are VERY tolerant of my two year old. But if they were scratch happy I would have trained them with a squirt bottle of water.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010