Are they discriminating against my son because of his size??

My DS has issues sitting still, he wiggles and spins and makes his pencils fly in his hands, and daydreams of tractors. He is in kindergarten and had really bad behavior in preschool--now he has settled down and now this summer I think he settle down even more---(this same thing to DD she was more mature in kindergarten, girls mature faster than boys) Any way he is not dangerous he is a sweetie-pie but he is as tall almost 5 ft tall and 100 pounds, they said I should have him evaluated for ADHD, I think it is immaturity, and so does my family, so? Could they be discriminating against his size since they look at him and see someone so much bigger than a kid in kindergarten?? Other people do it all the time, because he acts like a 6 year old, people give him funny looks all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• they need to readjust their tolerance. my husband was criticized for that when he was in elementary school and it was a simple matter that they were not challenging him. he would get done with his classwork eons before his classmates and he didn't have anything to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It could be ADD. Why not get him evaluated?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Them suggesting that he should be evaluated for ADHD has nothing to do with his weight and hieght.
    They're talking about his behaviour and refrencing previous things they've seen in him. That has to do with him mentally not physically.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I know what you are saying-my friends kid looks 10 but he is 6 and so when he acts 6 people think he is immature-their eyes can not comprehend its a 6 year old, not a 10 year old. However, I would hope the kindy teacher is use to having kids big for their age and is looking past size at behavior appropriate for his age. I am not a huge fan of an ADHD label so young, but it might not hurt to work on behavior modifications and taking a good look at his diet to make sure his sugar and processed foods are kept at a minimum. Also, make sure his movement level is high when he is outside of school so he can burn that energy and make sure he is getting plenty of sleep. I use to have my younger one jump on the tramp or do some laps around the house before school to get that energy out-TV in the morning before school makes him buggy- so does sugary cereal and too much juice!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• "they said I should have him evaluated for ADHD," who is it that said that? if it's just random people, then they probably assume that he's older than 6. Had the same problem with me, my siblings and my niece. Everyone looked much older than they were.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like his behavior, not his size is his problem. How about teach him to behave. Plenty of kindergarten kids behave, why not have yours be one of them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Well Pnukey-- he does behave---it is not like some of the third graders in that school running out of class, standing on desks yelling at teachers and destroying the bathroom, My sons flying, wiggle pencil and daydreaming is the least of their problems.
    Anonymous