How can I encourage my son to become a more positive person?

He seems to always focus on the negative. Here's an example........I said, "Mark pitched really well this weekend." My son replied, "Yeah, but he still sucks at batting."

I told him he always views his glass as "half empty". I just don't know how to make him see the good in life and in people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• From experience .. I would see the negative side of things, because I wasn't happy with myself. I don't know if this is true for your son, but it's worth a shot. I wasn't happy, so I saw the negative side of everything. It was easier. It also helped me from having to admit I wasn't happy, because I saw soo much negativity around me. It also helped me from changing my life for the better. Now circumstances changed and I was forced to open my eyes and see a different view. However, it can take a lot of time and effort.

Try getting him involved in things he loves. Encourage him to see the better side of things. Also praise his good attributes and what-not. Maybe giving him more positive things to look at, think about, and believe will help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Are you or your dh negative? My dh was always very negative, always saw the down side to things but his dad is the same way. I believe, for my dh, it was a learned behavior. We have been married for 7 years now and dh is definitely a more positive person. He now tells me sometimes to be more positive. I would say just try to always point out the good, no matter how negative he can be. There is usually always a good side to things no matter how bad it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think kids learn by example, somewhere along the line his example became negative, but keep harping on the glass being half full!

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That just sounds to me like a teenager that would rather eat dirt than give a complement. So many times they are really good at the put-down, but that complement gives them the hives. Is he like this about everything. Like: we are home 10 minutes early!, yeah, but, I missed my show - this type thing? My son is like this. I just laugh at him and call him "gloomy Gus" and enjoy my day. He is 26 years old. No amount of positive speak made him a "half full" kind of guy. He is just a pessimist.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Teach him by example. I really don't know any other way to teach him. At dinner, you can go around and have each person say something positive that happened during that day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You have to model a more positive lifestyle. Kids over all attitude and perspective comes from watching you. They learn how to react to the world by watching mom and dad.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2010