Is making a kid be a latch key kid cruel ? up to what age? Should parents just pay for after school care or get a babysitter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine has been a latch key kids since 9. I hate it, but, I can't afford to pay anyone to watch him. I work fulltime to pay my utilities and food. I also get no support. If I had to pay for childcare...I couldn't afford my bills or gas to drive to work. I might as well just stay home and live off government. So, this way is easier. Some people have no chioce. He is 14 now and still doing good with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't be ok with my child returning to an empty house unless they were at least 16-17 years old. Before that age I would put them in after school care if I had to.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• 16-17 sounds like the perfect age for a kid with too much time on their hands to get into drugs and sex if left to their own devices.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i stayed home alone afterschool igrew upfine
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i was left alone at age 10. and i survived. ugh why would i amke my mom pay money for someone to take care of me if i was fine alone. she had to work and i knew my responsibilities. thats why kids are wimps now days!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2010