Should priest be allowed to marry and have kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• why not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i don't see why not. only people in bible i know of that decided to not marry was Jesus and Paul - other deciples were married. it is not a law right?
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 11:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes, they should.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• In some sects they can.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm not Christian anymore, but I'm pretty well versed in the Bible, and I believe that what nuns and priests are doing goes against what God wanted.

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." King James Version, Genesis 1:28

"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." New International Version, Genesis 1:28

So yeah, I think they should be able to get married and have kids.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am Greek Orthodox and priests can get married if its BEFORE they become ordained. The reasoning I think is because the wife of a Priest is not so easy so it is a decision for a married couple to make once married life begins. Most of our Priests are married with children and all have wives that understand the Church comes first-it seems to work out well for them. (I hope)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm not against it, I just don't know how they would manage a household and children and a large parish. Our priests live on church grounds and are present for so many activities. Last rights is a sacrament that is very important in the Catholic church and priests have to be available 24 hours to travel to the sick to provide anointing of the sick and last rights. I don't know how very many could manage this and homework, soccer practice, ect, ect, ect,.....

We have Deccan's in the Catholic Church and many are married. They do many of the same things as priests, including officiating at mass. Deccan Steve at my church is married and has 5 children. He and his family are very committed to our church, but as much as I love him and his family I can't image it being very good for him to run the whole church and still care for his family.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes, I know other pastors of other Church's do it, but Catholic Church's are often very large, and the sacraments make it a difficult 24 hour commitment.  Not impossible, I sure some could do it well, but it would be very hard on the spouse and kids.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• The should! but the Pope doesn't want any riches going to a spouse, they want to keep it in the church.

Answer by older at 12:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If they want to...yes, I think they should have that option.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2010