how can i get my dh to save money?

we make enough that we can save weekly. my idea is tithe, save a certain %, pay bills and what is left have fun with it. - his idea is bills, sometimes tithe, have fun and if anything is left save - well we usually have nothing left to save at this point or he forgets to save.

New2Florida

Asked by New2Florida at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • The big rule of thumb you'll here financial consultants and those who right books such as Ramsey and Bach is to PAY YOURSELF FIRST. That means put X amount of dollars into savings every week no matter what! We put $250 into our savings account each week so we save a $1,000 a month.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• put some away right when you get paid or as your paying bills so its out right away.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Dave Ramsey, your church should have a coordinator, your idea is good, his is not so great. If you need more help that that click here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We do our dividing up on a written budget so we're both on the "same page" so to speak. We hash out the budget before January and agree on it. As far as the logistics of it you could try a direct deposit from the paycheck into a savings account for the future. You're right, it's very important to have some sort of cushion for emergencies and a three to six month contingency fund. (In case DH gets laid off etc.) Perhaps you could do the same with the tithe. (I don't know if that's done but it may help if it can be.) As far as fun money, (I've married a spender too.), we found setting aside a small personal allowance for each person to blow anyway they want was very helpful. Of course, I save mine.... :-)
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2010