Tear Duct Surgery on 14 month old

My 14 month old daughter is scheduled to get surgery on her eye because she has a blocked tear duct. I am a little worried about them having to put her to sleep but I do think the surgery is neccessary because her eye has been draining since she was born and its worse now. However, her father don't want her to get the surgery. I don't know what to do

zoriah26

Asked by zoriah26 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son had the same problem and had surgery for it. honestly, it was worse for me than it was for him, but it helped so much. Mostly I was nervous about him being away from me, but the nurse and doctor at the children's hospital where it was done were so nice and made him feel comfortable... we split up and I thought we'd be apart for a long time, but it was literally 20 minutes and the doc came in to say he was all done and my son was recovering. Another 10 minutes or so and I was able to go hold him while he was waking up. Fed him a popsicle and we were on our way. He was a tiny bit cranky the rest of the day, but he was ok and we haven't had problems with his eye at all since then. What's the reason her dad doesnt want it done? I know it's a little scary, but it's a very quick and simple procedure and it really did fix the problem.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 1:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• have you tried massaging the duct? it may be too late now, but i am not sure. you should look it up. i had one baby with a clogged duct. i squirted breast milk in his eyes and massaged the duct, everything was fine in a week or two. always ask your dr for alternatives to surgery, and always ask what will happen if you do not do the surgery.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i have a 3yr old son who has narrow tear ducts and his eye doctor said he may outgrow it....she wanted to do the surgery, but he has been through so much already with having 2 MRI's and heart surgery...being put under 3 times already so i chose not to get the surgery done at this time....he does however get crusty eyes and gook in them in the mornings sometimes, but it seems seasonal......i give him polymixin eye ointment on his eye lashes when it gets goopy.....i am waiting it out.
    Anonymous

• No her dad is not a doctor and I think he is just afraid of our daughter being under anestesia. He thinks she's too young. Ive been trying to explain to him that its a simple procedure and it is neccessary because eyedrops or massaging did not work for our daughter..Thank you ladies for your comments;-) delete your answer
    zoriah26

Answer by zoriah26 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010