ADD medication/alternate HELP!

I have a 5 yr old son who is currently on ADD medication. He went to his dads for spring break and he gave him twice the normal dose so now one week away from refill time the pediatrician won't refill it. I am at a loss as to what to do, if I send him to school with no meds he will not be able to focus and will have a challenging week. If anyone has any suggestion or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! HELP

jlogro0711

Asked by jlogro0711 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call the school nurse and explain the situation. She may have an idea. Also, what does dad say?

Good luck. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Of course they won't refill it early, ADD meds have strict restrictions on it and you can only refill every 30 days and not a day before that time frame is over. There isn't much you can do, just explain to the school what is going on and see if they can give extra reminders for the week. They may not even notice for a week.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You definitely need to talk to the school nurse and alert his teachers!! I used to work at a summer camp and some parents would take their kids off the meds for that week and it was always hell for us and the child!! If the teachers know what they will be up against they can help him deal much better!! Hang in there Mom!

Ohhh and Dad should go to the next docs visit for a HUGE lecture about it!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ive had times where the pharmacy didnt have any of my sons adhd meds and I had to wait a few days for them to order it. I just sent a note to the teacher explaining the situation and asking her to have more patience with my son...if they are informed, they can cope better with him being off his meds. I would also consider taking him off his meds when he's at his dads, especially if his dad cant be responsible about it.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2010