Son and his allergies~I just wanna cry!!!

I was reading a question on here about kids and allergies and school here in the answers section. Someone said,"That's what they make allergy meds for" (I wanna call Chuck Norris and have him punch her in the nose for that!)
My son has seasonal allergies and seasonal asthma BAD!!! He's on multiple meds for it and has missed numerous days of school from it.
I just wanna cry. This poor kid gets soooooooooo miserable from them.
He's on asthmanax twisthaler(inhaler), Nasonex(nasal spray), astropro(nasal spray), pro-air(inhaler) and Loratadine. <~~He was on Zyrtec, but it's soooo expensive!

Does anyone else here have a tween or a kid that's gets allergies this bad? I feel so alone in handling this. His dad refuses to give him any meds when he visits until recently when I threatened to sick my lawyer on him.
Someone told me about a "nasal cleanser"(thank you btw! can you give me more info on that?)

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Sorry I wasn't clear. :)Sounds like you are doing all you can to limit his "home exposure" ie limiting his exposure to any allergens in the house. About the filters, are they regular filters or HEPA filters? Do you use a broom or vacuum when cleaning? If a vacuum, you can get allergen reducing bags for the bag kind; we have a bagless with a HEPA filter in it. If using a broom, a neat trick is to take an old cotton shirt/rag, dampen it slightly, and tie it around the broom. This keeps any dust particles from flying around as you sweep; you can do the same with a duster. Unless you have really good filters, I wouldn't run the fan all the time; it could recirculate dust and allergens. There are air purifiers on the market that my parents have tried; they did a good job of cleaning up the air and such but they made my nose dry up and burn when they were running. You might also try a humidifier at night to help night asthma
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Hi! I'm sorry your ds has such problems with allergies. I am wondering if he sees an allergy specialist and if there is a chance of having desensitization to the things he is allergic to? They should help some, although it is not immediate relief.

I'm thinking that the previous answer concerned the "neti pot" = nasal cleaner. You can google it.

I"m a pediatric nurse, feel free to PM if you want! :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• He's been to an allergist. I think our next step is allergy shots. Does anyone know how effective those are?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• http://www.neti-pot.com/ A neti pot is a good cleanser for the sinuses. I have allergies almost that bad during peak times, and have had them recommended, I just haven't gotten one. Right now I use a saline spray, zyrtec, and a nasonex if the allergies get really bad. I should be on prescriptions similar to your son's, but I have no insurance. The generic zyrtec is what we get; it's the equate brand at Walmart- less expensive and just as effective.  DH also has allergies like that; he uses a nebulizer, and inhaler, the zyrtec, and is currently on prednisone and an antibiotic for his third lung infection this year.  After he gets over this infection, he is going back to the doctor to discuss stronger treatments; in the mornings he sounds like he has emphysema.  You're not alone! 

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Is there any way for you to limit his at home exposure? Mornings are really bad for pollen around here. Also, if he goes outside you can have him shower and change to get rid of the pollen when he comes inside, and a high grade filter for your furnace can reduce the indoor allergens somewhat. I also check the local pollen count and forecast on www.weather.com - that way I know when I am likely to have problems, and when to keep the doors and windows shut.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I have severe allergies and i know what your son is going through. Is he specifically allergic to certain pollens etc? When i was in high school i received shots on a regular basis and haven't had them get that bad since. Also, have you tried OTC off brands of claritin and zyrtec...they are less exspensive but have the same active ingredients. you may want to ask the doc about the shots.

the 'nasal cleaner' i think may be a neti pot...you can google it if you don't know what it is.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I had allergy shots when I was a kid and I think I started doing much better when I went off of them-
    I get acupuncture now and rely on Chinese medicine- I urge you to look into that, it's done wonders for me. feel free to PM me if you want. I know that the idea of acupuncture sounds terrible, I always thought it would be. But I am SO glad I started!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• He had the allergy test at the allergist's office. Dust mites were high on the list along with the pollen and several "trees and weeds".
    He takes a shower ever night, especially after coming in from outdoors. I watch "the pollen count" like a hawk.
    I have no idea what "limit his home exposure" means. I mean should I limit the time he's at home?
    I clean and dust when he's at school, I have the special pillow cases and mattress covers, got rid of the cat last year(mild allergic reaction on the allergy test). He has to go to school. He missed 4 days this spring so far. Last year we racked up 12 absences(all doctor excused) due to these damn allergies. I'm going to get a "netty pot" today if I can find it at Walgreen's or wally world.
    I don't smoke in doors at all. I change the air every month(I live in an apartment and they change them every 2 months, but I have it done every month). I have considered running the fan on my...
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• thermostat 24/7 but I'm worried about my electric bill. Yes, I know, I can't put a price on my child's health, but I'm a divorced single parent and on disability. Does anyone know if that actually works btw?

I do thank everyone for their answers. I don't feel so alone now.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=air+purifiers&Find.x=28&Find.y=11

This is Walmart's results for air purifiers.  I would recommend a purifier with the HEPA if you can afford it.  Walmart also has a Filtrete filter made specifically to reduce allergens; I don't know exactly how well it works but it's something to try.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010