Is 14 months too early for showers?

My DD still takes baths. It used to be fun. We would laugh and play together and the baths would last nearly 1/2 an hour. Now, she has decided she's bored of *sitting* in the tub. She tries to stand but I won't let her. I keep forcing her to sit down which makes her upset and therefore makes me upset. The last few nights baths have only been about 5 minutes because it's all we can take. My concern is the standing water in the tub. If she falls, it's potentially very dangerous. If we switch to showers (under my supervision, of course), she can stand all she wants and there's no standing water if she falls. Is it too early for showers? I know 3 year olds who take showers, but my DD's not even half the age of a 3 year old. Or should I just not be so paranoid and allow her to stand in the tub so we can have fun again, after all, I am supervising her and can fix a dangerous situation - and then she can take showers when she's older

MomToovey

Asked by MomToovey at 12:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started taking my daughter inthe shower with me when she could sit up unsupported and crawl. It's a bit of a challenge to make sure you dont' get shampoo, etc in their eyes and adjusting the teperature but it's do-able. I would of course suggest a no slip mat to put in the bottom of the shower as well in case she decides to stand up.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I would keep her in the bath. The standing is a stage that will soon pass. Watch her closely and keep telling her to sit. I don't think she will like water coming down on her head and it sounds like a lot of work for you! At least you get to sit down while she's in the bath.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I took my kids in the shower with me, starting at around 1 yo. They liked pretending they were under a waterfall. We used to call when they took showers (with me standing outside) a bath-shower. I'd run the shower low so it slowly fills the tub and they get to pretend the are splashing in puddles and experience "rain"... Water is a great sensory activity.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Get one of those showers with the hose on it, DS used to hate it , but sounds like your DD is ready to stand up,, then when you are squirting her,, sitting, standing it will all be okay! I am suprised that she doesn't like baths anymore, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son has been taking showers since he could stand steady without holding anything, about 15 months. We were having a similar issue only he would try to RUN in the bath. EEK! So he's been taking showers with daddy for more than a year now. A good no skid mat helps too but the shower just works better for us.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My 16 month old son has been taking a shower with Daddy for a long time, but we still do baths too. He has learned that if he stands up twice, he has to get out. He stand up once, he gets a warning to sit back down; if he stands up again bathtime is over and he has to get out. He loves his baths and wants to stay in as long as possible. Do you have bath toys? Bath crayons? My kids have always preferred baths over showers until they were school age anyway. (You can also get non skid "grips" for the bottom of the tub/shower)

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• we're a showers only house- very rarely do they take a bath, no it's not too young. mine have always taken showers with me. it was so much easier- but when they are really, really small you need an extra person to help.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010